Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest, Welcome to the new version of Sheltieforums.com. If you have any questions regarding the new software, please post in the following section: Forum Upgrade

Third Puppy Class- TOTAL FIASCO!! VENT AND RANT

Discussion in 'Puppies 101' started by MissyGallant, May 16, 2017.

1. MissyGallant

MissyGallant Premium Member

Dec 20, 2011
    Sheridan, Indiana
    We've been doing very well in puppy class. Rocket and Charli were actually starting to sniff each other and work around each other. Rocket even allowed the trainer to walk him around the store without us! And Charli was very good for Rocket because as soon as he tried to get away from her, she just left him alone and let him take the lead on approaching her. And he DID!

So last night, we show up. Charli isn't there. And a different trainer and some other dog ARE! Our trainer has been ill with strep, so we weren't sure if it was cancelled or what? This other trainer says, "She isn't with the company anymore. And I'm teaching level 2 class here right now. I guess if you want, you can join."

So we went in and the only dog in level 2 is this shitzu. Totally out of control wild child. The trainer had us take everyone off leash. The wild child is just going at Rocket's face. He's hiding behind our legs. The trainer tells us to move "I don't want him to be able to hide behind you guys." Well, this lasts the longest few minutes of my life. The trainer is saying, "See how good this is." Rocket is running around with his tail between his legs, ear down, cowering. Wild child is barking and chasing him, trying to get to his face. I stood up and said, "Nope this isn't working. We're leaving. No offense, but this isn't good for him. This isn't the positive experience he needs at this point. And she's paid for level 2, we aren't there yet. We didn't pay for level 2, we're still at level 1." The trainer said she'd call after the class.

We ran into Charli and her humans on the way out. Rocket ran straight to her and her kids. We explained what happened. And by mutual decision, both families decided that IF we can stay together for the class, and IF it doesn't change times, we will finish the course. They understand Rocket's issues and they want to help us with them. And Charli and her kids do that. Her girl works with Rocket and so does her boy. And they are all gentle enough that we think it's a good thing. (Personally, I think her girl needs to grow up to work with dogs professionally.)

So, classes resume next week with Charli and Charli ONLY. And we might even get an extra class out of it because of all of the inconsistency we've endured. Fourth week of classes, but we've only had 2 classes! I'm also a bit upset because the first trainer seems to get the whole, "this is a fearful dog" thing more.

2. tesslynn

tesslynn Forums Enthusiast

Mar 3, 2014
    idaho
    I think there are socialization classes, and training classes and the two aren't the same. Different expectations and training methods. I think sheltie's need very different approaches to training than say a lab or a husky. That is what I ended up with when I took Kaleigh to a class. It regressed her, and the trainer was oblivious to the different needs of different breeds. It takes the right type of reinforcement with a sheltie or you get a weird result. Hopefully you can find the nurturing combo that works out for Rocket.

3. Piper's mom

Piper's mom Premium Member

Jun 26, 2015
    Winnipeg Mb
    Good on you for saying you were leaving although you definitely handled it wayyyy better than I would've...lose you trainer...no phone call and then stick you with a crazy Shitzu. If I were you I'd start checking out other trainers (ask if you can watch their class) , this place sounds like it's not organized at all. Perhaps you could find a place that both Rocket and Charlie could attend. Good luck!

4. Hanne

Hanne Forums Enthusiast

Nov 13, 2014
    Danmark
    I had done the same immediately :gaah
    - there are many trainers that do more harm than good, they have no idea what damage they can cause to so sensitive race as a Sheltie.

"Never participate in anything where you can not see your dog in its eyes when you get home" :no:

tesslynn likes this.
  5. Calliesmom

Calliesmom Moderator

Mar 29, 2008
    near Mobile, AL
    that is not nice to change instructors and classes without letting you know. it does sound like that instructor is clueless about dog behavior/interactions......:rolleyes2:

tesslynn likes this.
  6. Sharon7

Sharon7 Premium Member

Oct 31, 2009
    Southern California
    Oh good grief!!! :rolleyes2: :mad1: When you pay for a class you expect to get consistent INTELLIGENT training. That place does not sound like a good way to spend your money, period. When Asta was in puppy classes we had quite a variety of dogs, labs, a Newfie (he was gentle though) poodle, terriers. She used to hide behind my legs too when the big dogs got rambunctious, but our trainer would have free play with the dogs separated by size. Asta did get more confident because she wasn't being mauled by the other dogs.

You absolutely did the right thing (you know that already!). We have to be advocates for our pups. Shelties really take bad experiences to heart and it can be difficult to overcome. Hoping you and Rocket and Charli and her owners can train together. How very nice that those kids are willing to help you socialize Rocket. That "trainer" needs training herself.

tesslynn likes this.
  7. tesslynn

tesslynn Forums Enthusiast

Mar 3, 2014
    idaho
    All the newfie's I ever met were so sweet natured.

8. ghggp

ghggp Premium Member

Aug 28, 2011
    Grosse Pointe, Michigan
    I can tell you I have gone to so many training classes over the years and under NO circumstances would I have tolerated that behavior from a dog or the trainer!
    Bravo for standing your ground!
    There have been several classes which weren't as good as others but I would never tolerate my dog being harassed!
    I did leave one class before the end as ALL the dogs in the class were just not socialized or so misbehaving that the trainer spent ALL her time helping them and I was left out in the cold! Granted their dogs needed more help but I paid money too! Just left after three sessions. Wondering if these folks just never bothered to do the homework and expected the dog to preform from week to week without putting in the time!
    We sheltie owners are a dedicated lot and will put in the effort!
    I second the motion... find another trainer/class you can watch and feel comfortable with the trainer, environment and methods!

9. MissyGallant

MissyGallant Premium Member

Dec 20, 2011
    Sheridan, Indiana
    We are sticking through this course because we have been assured that it will only be Rocket and Charli and their pet humans attending. I enjoy watching Charli's kids working with Rocket. All three kids learn so much. (Not posting Charli's kids' names) And Charli is good for Rocket because she knows when to back off. We are going to this class mostly to get Rocket and my husband to bond more. And that has already happened. So now, it's learn a few tricks and get Rocket out of his comfort zone in a safe setting- which Charli and her family can provide. I just really needed a vent after that experience.