Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest, Welcome to the new version of Sheltieforums.com. If you have any questions regarding the new software, please post in the following section: Forum Upgrade

Tiny sheltie

Discussion in 'General Health' started by Cassie Mobley, Mar 20, 2017.

1. Cassie Mobley

Cassie Mobley Forums Novice

Mar 20, 2017
    Hello! I'm a new sheltie mommy so of course I'm always worried about my baby! Zoey is 8 months old and probably about 9lbs if that she was the only girl in her liter mom and dad seemed to be average size but my Zoey is just so small! My cousin bought her brother and he seems huge compared to her and his coat is already much thicker than hers! She's a happy girl who runs and plays and eats well but just doesn't seem to get any bigger! I was just wondering if this was normal for some shelties. I realize she could have been the runt but there were pups smaller than her when I picked her out. I'm trying to figure out how to post a picture I will when I figure it out! Thank you!

2. Cassie Mobley

Mar 20, 2017
  3. tesslynn

tesslynn Forums Enthusiast

Mar 3, 2014
    idaho
    Males tend to grow faster and coat up quicker as puppies. Some sheltie's don't coat up until they reach 2 yrs. Genes play a big part but also where they live and what they eat factor in, as well as if they are spayed and when. My girls always had lots of undercoat because CO was cold at 9,000 ft. My girls now coated up FAST when I moved here because it was even colder here. Savannah was the biggest girl in her litter but ended up the smallest of the girls-she is only 15 lbs, and smallest overall of all the 6 pups. She wasn't the runt, and she eats as much as Kaleigh who is now 22lbs. But she burns it off quicker. She has very petite bones and her siblings all seemed to get stockier and bigger than she did. She got ALL the attitude though. If Zoey is healthy and thriving I wouldn't fret too much about size and coat.

4. Caro

Caro Moderator

Jan 14, 2009
    Canberra, Australia
    So hard to tell from her weight what her height is. At that age dogs tend to be lighter than their adult weight. Can you measure her? Height is measured at the withers - that's the top of the shoulder blades. For me I found the easiest way to measure was to stick a piece of paper on a door and get the dog to stand next to the door.

Sheltie sizes are all over the place. We have a chart of over 150 Shelties from members of Sheltie forum (http://spreadsheets.google.com/ccc?key=0AheAoq94SnXCdFRycXpWTDdQVEFsWDBqQUJRY3BVeXc&hl=en&au) and heights range from 11" to 20" - from Pomeranian size to Border Collie sized.

My 2 are like chalk and cheese. Tully is small, petite and foxy looking (she's a British line) and Deska has over 16 has"a long nose, long body and a more Collie look (he's American lines). But I love that they look so different, makes it easier to tell them apart.

5. Chris

Chris Premium Member

Feb 25, 2008
    Northern Virginia
    At 8 mos, she's in what we call the coyote stage -- all legs and ears! Don't worry -- they coat up at different rates.

Cassie Mobley likes this.
  6. Cleo2014

Cleo2014 Forums Enthusiast

Jun 23, 2015
    Terre Haute, Indiana
    That is about what my Cleo looked like at that age. She also looks like a color headed white. She is such a cutie. :)

7. Cassie Mobley

Mar 20, 2017
    Thank you! Yes she's a color headed white when I first started looking I wanted a sable but I instantly fell in love with her!

8. Cassie Mobley

Mar 20, 2017
    Thank you! I'll try to get her measurements!

9. ghggp

ghggp Premium Member

Aug 28, 2011
    Grosse Pointe, Michigan
    All I can say is Zoey is just adorable! My female coated up late too! Not to worry!

10. Cassie Mobley

Mar 20, 2017
    Thank you!