Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest, Welcome to the new version of Sheltieforums.com. If you have any questions regarding the new software, please post in the following section: Forum Upgrade

Tiny Sheltie?

Discussion in 'Puppies 101' started by Demi's Human, Oct 19, 2017.

1. Demi's Human

Demi's Human Forums Novice

Jul 11, 2017
    My new little sheltie, Shirina, is very small. I expected it, because I got her from a line of small agility shelties. Her back story is that she was their show prospect, until a tooth came in crooked.

Groomers and vets have commented they don't think she'll get to full size. I brushed it off. I thought, "She'll be on the small side of average."

Tonight, I took her to a training class at a local dog obedience club. I enrolled her in "pre-basic," which is a class for puppies at least five months old who have had some basic training. At the door, the checker-inners asked if this was the "shorkie" they were expecting. It took some discussion to explain that this is a Shetland Sheepdog (no Yorkie!), 5 1/2 months old. (A quick peek at the teeth confirms this.) A lot of people don't recognize Shirina's breed, because she's not sable.

So after some discussion, we were waved through to the pre-basic class, and the trainers there asked us the same questions. "How old is this dog?" She was the smallest dog there. Then someone asked me how old my "cat" was.

I don't mind that she's small. I just hope she'll be healthy and okay. She weighs about 11.5 lbs, and she was born 5/2. Her paws are proportionate to her current size.

Does anybody else here have a smaller sheltie?

TheDailyPainter likes this.
  2. ghggp

ghggp Moderator

Aug 28, 2011
    Grosse Pointe, Michigan
    I have never had a small sheltie but LARGE ones...
    Logan is the only one I ever owned that was 'normal' sheltie weight and height... but, he is a retired show dog!

Shelties come in all shapes, colors, and sizes... they may not all be SHOW quality... BUT, we love them just the same!

Gold stars to you for taking little sheltie, Shirina to obedience class. I have ALWAYS enrolled mine in at least basic obedience classes... Tiem well spent to make a great pet and a well-behaved dog!

KarenCurtis and Ron Atkinson like this.
  3. Chris

Chris Premium Member

Feb 25, 2008
    I would love to see a picture of you cat! :lol:

TheDailyPainter and Ron Atkinson like this.
  4. Calliesmom

Calliesmom Moderator

Mar 29, 2008
    near Mobile, AL
    Most people see larger shelties out in the world as those are the puppies that breeders place first and they are surprised when they see a smaller sheltie.
    I currently have four shelties and only two are actually in size for the breed standard. Destin is my youngest- he's 4 yrs old and I get will he get bigger when he grows up?- no, he won't. he's 13.75" at the shoulder and 14-15 lbs. Destin is also a biblue so I've been asked if he's an Aussie mix. and when I've had all 4 out, are they all the same kind of dog?- yes, they are all shelties....
    There are definitely shelties out there who are smaller than Destin and I've seen a few at agility trials.

KarenCurtis and TheDailyPainter like this.
  5. Daisy's Mom

Daisy's Mom Forums Regular

Aug 25, 2017
    My Daisy is the same age as your Shirina, and is also a small Sheltie. Her breeder sold her as "pet quality" because she was below standard size, which is fine with us because we wanted a Sheltie for agility training.

Daisy is sable and white and many people say she looks like a mini Lassie, so we do not have to face questions about her breed. We have heard many say she looks tiny for a Sheltie and ask if she was the runt of the litter.

I know there are breeders who purposely breed "mini Shelties", but that is frowned upon because those bitches often have to deliver via caesarean. There is a demand for them. The last vet Daisy saw estimated that she would be about 12 lbs when fully grown. I think she's about 7.5 now, but I'd have to check on that.

Enjoy your mini Sheltie! And the person who called Shirina a cat must have been on something.

TheDailyPainter and Ron Atkinson like this.
  6. Phoebe'smom

Phoebe'smom Forums Enthusiast

Oct 22, 2015
    At 5 1/2 months Phoebe was 11 1/2 lbs. At two years old she is almost 15 inches and 18 pounds. So you never know, she might have a growth spurt and surprise you!

Ron Atkinson likes this.
  7. Cara Sandler

Cara Sandler Forums Enthusiast

Jul 11, 2015
    Florida
    Both of my girls are itty bitty. Spirit is 3 years old, full grown at 12.5 inches and roughly 12 pounds. Skylar is 11 months old and has not been officially measured but is at most an inch taller than Spirit. They're perfectly healthy and a joy to have :)

Ron Atkinson likes this.
  8. Caro

Caro Moderator

Jan 14, 2009
    My Tully is under 13" but we often see smaller Shelties here as breeders follow the UK standard - which is smaller than the US standard. I too got comments about her being a kitten when she was young (also comments about her being a fox kitten because of her colouring). When she was very young I used to carry her in a small handbag when I walked Deska because her little legs couldn't keep up.

I will say, little Tully is a little pocket rocket, although at 10yrs and with a false hip she has slowed down somewhat.

Ron Atkinson likes this.
  9. MissyGallant

MissyGallant Forums Enthusiast

Dec 20, 2011
    My Clarabelle didn't hit 10 pounds until she was over a year old! Now she's about 14 and 14 inches at the shoulder. She might be a half an inch taller than Annabelle. They just hit on the smaller side of acceptable size. And to me, they are perfect. I would also love to see a picture of the cat you put into obedience.

Ron Atkinson likes this.
  10. roguskie

roguskie Forums Enthusiast

Oct 12, 2014
    New Zealand
    My Pippi is 3. Shes tiny. 288mm and 4.7kg. We love her to pieces and shes fab at agility. We just got a 10 week old pup, Obi, hes already about 228mm and weighs 2.65kg.

Ron Atkinson likes this.