Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest, Welcome to the new version of Sheltieforums.com. If you have any questions regarding the new software, please post in the following section: Forum Upgrade

Toby and the stroller

Discussion in 'Puppies 101' started by Jams, Oct 27, 2017.

1. Jams

Jams Premium Member

Sep 8, 2017
    I've always been an evening dog walker. My routine has been to walk my dogs sometime after they eat dinner, usually for around 30-40 minutes (minus all the wet evenings during our rainy season here in Florida.) If I don't get to the walk in what they consider a timely fashion the dogs often come and pester me to let me know it's time to go! There may be whining, hand nudging, a head placed upon my knee, a heavy sigh, and trying for some eye contact to give me that imploring look. I bet many of you know what I mean!
    So now I have a puppy to consider when I take the nightly walk. Toby is still so young that he only goes out in our back yard. Even when he's old enough it will be, well, I don't know how long before he'll be ready to walk with Shannon and me. Shannon (adopted from our shelter) realky likes to walk at a brisk pace! She also needs that exercise! So I don't want to leave Toby home during the walk for months to come. After I carried Toby during the walk just 1 night I decided I needed a better plan!
    I had an old umbrella stroller from one of my granddaughters that I figured I could rig for Toby to ride in. I had a long rectangular piece of material I folded in half to tie around the front of the stroller with the fold open at the top. I was making a big pocket, kangaroo style, for Toby to ride in. I put his harness on, attach a leash, and tie the leash to the stroller handle, not allowing a lot of squirming room. If he should get too squirmy at least he's not able to instantly jump out.
    After a week or so now he settles in for his nightly stroller ride pretty well, often sliding into a leaning position he doesn't seem to mind. (But looks a little nutty, puppy style) He looks and smells at everything around him. He may whine a little the last 5 minutes of the walk but doesn't really fuss. I HOPE because he'll be used to it he'll be willing to continue his rides for months? Most nights the alternative is to leave him crated while we're gone. I'd like to keep him with us!
    Sorry my tale became so long!

2. Chris

Chris Premium Member

Feb 25, 2008
    Northern Virginia
    I love using strollers! Toby looks enchanted!

Jams likes this.