Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest, Welcome to the new version of Sheltieforums.com. If you have any questions regarding the new software, please post in the following section: Forum Upgrade

Toilet training regression!!

Discussion in 'Puppies 101' started by Niele Ging, Sep 12, 2017.

1. Niele Ging

Niele Ging Forums Novice

Jun 12, 2017
    Hi guys - looking for a bit of help - my gorgeous 5 month old puppy is teething like mad- chewing doors, walls etc. And has started - in the last week to pee and poo inside again! Eating it sometimes, sometimes leaving it!! Even when the door is open and he could go outside! The weather has changed here in the last week and gotten cold and wet but I'm getting concerned! Any tips?

2. Piper's mom

Piper's mom Premium Member

Jun 26, 2015
    Winnipeg Mb
    It's perfectly normal for them to regress on the housebreaking, perhaps keep your pup on a shorter leash so to speak and limit the areas they can roam, try to keep them in sight at all times. This happened many times with my dog Piper when he was that age, I'd let my guard slip and give him more freedom and he'd have an accident. With Piper I knew he was up to something if it was quiet lol.

ghggp likes this.
  3. Phoebe'smom

Phoebe'smom Premium Member

Oct 22, 2015
    Southern California
    I went through the same thing with Phoebe, especially when it was raining outside. She didn't like getting wet!

4. Daisy's Mom

Daisy's Mom Forums Regular

Aug 25, 2017
    My Daisy is still a puppy as well. For teething, I have been giving her pig ears to chew on, and those have helped keep her away from shoes and furniture. They are not my favorite type of chew, but she likes them. They last quite awhile and keep her busy. I also give her an ice cube now and then. I read somewhere that ice was great for teething puppies, and she really seems to like it. She also has fun sliding it along the floor when she isn't chewing it.

We are still working on housebreaking, and experiencing accidents. I am also working on trying to keep her to a more confined area where I can watch her, as Piper's Mom suggested, but Daisy is quick. For example, I let her outside in the morning. Then she comes in to eat breakfast. I turn my attention away for a minute and she has left me a surprise in the next room. I realize now that I need to let her out before and RIGHT AFTER eating.

Regarding the rain, my older do hated getting rained on. He would refuse to do his business then come inside, and have an accident. It does not rain too often where I am, but when it does, I take him out to a planter area that is somewhat covered and watch him to make sure that he has done his business. He knows that he can't come inside if he doesn't do his job. You might look for, or create, a covered area for your puppy to go in bad weather.

5. Calliesmom

Calliesmom Moderator

Mar 29, 2008
    near Mobile, AL
    Callie did not appreciate rain when it was potty time. I had to take her out with an umbrella- she liked the big golf umbrellas, then she did not get wet......
    Normal rain wasn't really an issue as she would wait but some of the tropical rains, I would tell her that it's not going to stop anytime soon and then she would agree to go out:winkgrin:

Hanne likes this.