Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest, Welcome to the new version of Sheltieforums.com. If you have any questions regarding the new software, please post in the following section: Forum Upgrade

Training to combat counter surfing

Discussion in 'Behavior' started by Pam, Jun 4, 2017.

1. Pam

Pam Forums Regular

Mar 4, 2017
    1. It was suggested by a trainer I know to string together a bunch of cans and place them on top of something you would reach for and leave him in the room. Let the cans fall. But I am worried it will make him reactive toward the counter. So far he has been listening to "off" very well and staying low most of the time today for which he receives treats that miraculously appear on the floor--idea all good things come from the floor.

Cara Sandler likes this.
  2. Cara Sandler

Cara Sandler Forums Enthusiast

Jul 11, 2015
    Florida
    I was just thinking that the ex-pen would block the counter - not that it would rattle or scare him or anything. But yes, teaching him that good things come from the floor is a great idea :) Unfortunately, my shelties think that ALL surfaces have the potential to pay off ;-)

SheepOfBlue likes this.
  3. Hanne

Hanne Forums Enthusiast

Nov 13, 2014
    Danmark
    Yes, as usual, I'm slightly different in my upbringing :biggrin2: (In return, I have never had dogs stealing)

I say that everything that is edible comes from my hand or in her food bowl :yes:

- The only exception is if I spread a little of her food (pills) on the living room floor before I leave her with the word "goodbye" :hugs

Cara Sandler likes this.
  4. Caro

Caro Moderator

Jan 14, 2009
    Canberra, Australia
    That's the problem though, once there's a pay off on the bench they aren't going to be fooled by food on the floor.

I have told Tully that if she's going to get on the bench she should at least do the dishes while she's there.

Hanne and Cara Sandler like this.
  5. Pam

Pam Forums Regular

Mar 4, 2017
    The thing is: I don't think he has ever gotten food from the counter--he is just always trying to. I can't remember an instance of him actually getting anything. He just tries very very hard.

Re: nothing except from my hand or his bowl. That has been my motto up to now but I was given the floor idea in training class to keep a down and it worked. Oh, and my trainer had me doing "find it" on the ground outside when he is very reactive--and that worked wonders.

I heard once this phrase (and I keep repeating it to my family) "nothing for free and everything from me".

Beau is just a pushy, way too smart puppy who is always pushing the boundaries.

6. Cindy

Cindy Forums Enthusiast

Gavin used to be quite a counter surfer...Bread, sweet potatoes, apples....He would jump on kitchen chairs and then onto the table as well.
    Age has definitely mellowed him out, but every once in a while he will do something to show he still has some spunk left.
    He definitely chews through boxes on the floor with any type of food in it. I just learn to not tempt him. When I am home he is perfect, but when I'm not....well, you get the idea!

7. Hanne

Hanne Forums Enthusiast

Nov 13, 2014
    Danmark
    (Pam)
    My dogs learn not to take things from the Kitchen floor because I can easily lose food that will not be good for them - or a whole roast beef - not good for me :lol:

When we go for a walk, they must not pick up for eating things

Can easily make a play on the lawn where I throw their pills but always with a "search" command.

I do these things are for the sake of simplicity, then both dogs and I know how we do things without having to think first. :biggrin2:

I want I can trust my dogs and they can trust me :hugs

Have friends who thought it's ok that their dog steals - in fact, all their dogs have done it (for 40 years) :lol:

We all do what we like best - nothing is right or wrong.:wink2:

Cara Sandler and SheepOfBlue like this.
  8. Pam

Pam Forums Regular

Mar 4, 2017
    Hanne,
    The interesting thing is Beau is very good at "leave it" on walks and in the house, and don't touch, he is coming along with "drop it" which is pretty good too. But "leave it" just doesn't work with the counter. He wants sooooo badly to get things that are up there and to put his nose into whatever I am doing. But so far as I know he hasn't actually ever gotten anything. And interestingly too--he stays in kitchen alone (gated) when I am not home and he has NEVER gotten into anything. Of course, everything is pushed back out of reach but he hasn't gotten into my papers on the table (which he could reach) etc. Hum...

9. Hanne

Hanne Forums Enthusiast

Nov 13, 2014
    Danmark
    Seems it's very nice that Beau can do these things - remember he's only a little over 1 year :yes:

Always remember to praise and reward when he is doing these things, he must always see there is an advantage of being "obedient"

From the dog's point of view, there is no reason to "leave it" /"drop " food -Humans are strange :confused2:
    - so there must always be nice reward :pop

10. sable

sable Premium Member

Oct 2, 2008
    Ohio
    I get such a kick out of reading about counter surfers, mine never did this. Lucky when he was younger he could almost jump the fence but he
    never did surf. He could also jump high into my husband's lap even before he passed away. Lil' Lady, omg she is too needy, hand it to me, or I
    will keep barking. Sit, hush, and I will give you a treat.

I am not much help either, except I am big on leashes. If I had a surfer I would leash and pull mine down until they learn don't bug me with
    surfing. With Lucky and Lil' Lady they were leashed to my waist just to stop other antics they pulled and keep them out of trouble as pups.