Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest, Welcome to the new version of Sheltieforums.com. If you have any questions regarding the new software, please post in the following section: Forum Upgrade

Traveling crate or harness? Please help..

Discussion in 'Other Equipment' started by Minniesmom15, Mar 31, 2013.

1. Justicemom

Justicemom Forums Celebrity

Oct 2, 2009
    Minnesota
    Actually she is still a few kennels short. Serious dog people have 1 crate for the house, 1 for the car(van or SUV because who wants to remove them all the time), 1 for the hotel and 1 for the show site(because who wants to be hauling kennels all weekends and fighting for spots. That is per dog mind you. :smile2:

So in my case 16 plus a few extras. It can be a mix of soft crates, varikennels, pop ups or wires. What that isn't normal?:lol:

2. k9kreationz

k9kreationz Forums Celebrity

Oct 24, 2008
    OMG. You guys are crazy! Don't listen to these hoarders. 1 kennel per dog is enough. :p

BTW, I have 4 vari-kennels, 2 soft, 1 wire, and 1 ex-pen. Isn't that enough for 2 dogs? Sheesh. :lol:

3. Calliesmom

Calliesmom Moderator

Mar 29, 2008
    near Mobile, AL
    ok- I'll count up too.
    4 wire crates that live in the living room.
    1 plastic airline crate
    3 soft crates that live in the bedroom
    maybe 7 soft crates for trials/motels- cause I agree with Justicemom- who wants to haul back and forth.......

way more than 3 shelties need:winkgrin:

whoops- forgot the 2 puppy carriers- might need them again someday:wink2:

Last edited: Apr 8, 2013
  4. Justicemom

Justicemom Forums Celebrity

Oct 2, 2009
    Minnesota
    See you have the 4 to 1 ratio almost. 1 more crate and you are offically crazy too.

5. 3Stars

3Stars Forums Enthusiast

Jan 19, 2011
    Ontario, Canada
    I have two dogs...which means two kennels in my bedroom, two in the SUV, two pop-ups for hotel rooms, and a variety of softcrates for at the trials (1 huge one, 2 medium, 1 small)...I definitely qualify as a crazy dog lady, but it's nicer than having to haul crates everywhere I need them! :wink2:

6. BarbV

BarbV Forums Celebrity

I make the dogs share a soft-sided crate for the boat trip over from the mainland to the cottage, but granted its only a 10 minute trip.

That being said, they have learned to be crated together. I think if they had to go for longer trips, they would be fine too.

7. ClantyreSheltie

ClantyreSheltie Forums Sage

Feb 24, 2010
    Baltimore
    My girls can ride together in my big car crates. I hear the usual snarking sometimes, but they settle. My parents tried to do that with a set of dogs once, and had to pull over to separate them. They never tried it again.

8. take4roll10

take4roll10 Moderator

Aug 31, 2009
  9. Mom2Melli

Mom2Melli Forums Enthusiast

Oct 2, 2013
    Central California
    Large soft-sided crate strapped firmly in the backseat -- the two dogs share for the fewer times both go places with me at once. I think crating is the best because a cop can't shoot them in a crate. Even tethered in the car a cop can claim threat of bite and maybe shoot them -- not that I get pulled over a lot, but it is a thought. In an accident, the crate might be a smaller place to get knocked around, less likely to hit me or a window etc.

10. JLSOhio51

JLSOhio51 Forums Enthusiast

Mar 16, 2013
    Ohio
    Obviously this information is of great importance to us here, and I eagerly await whatever additional information is forthcoming. The writer mentioned that the full test results are "expected this week". Since this particular article shows it was published in the Wall Street Journal on 10/2/13, that data should be available any day now.

The most significant piece of info in this article (for me) is that supposedly, Subaru has enough confidence in one of the harnesses that it will be offered "soon" as an option on their vehicles. Clearly (if the article is correct), Subaru has substantial confidence in the data. From a testing procedure point of view, my guess is that the researchers may be less than pleased with the particular video segments shown in the attached video clips, but the things I found disturbing might very well be fully explained in the details of the tests. Time will tell.