Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest, Welcome to the new version of Sheltieforums.com. If you have any questions regarding the new software, please post in the following section: Forum Upgrade

Turn and Face (TAF) Technique for Reactive Dogs

Discussion in 'Behavior' started by k9kreationz, Jul 19, 2017.

1. k9kreationz

k9kreationz Premium Member

Oct 24, 2008
    Portland, OR
    Has anyone heard of this before? Today was the first time, so I'm doing some research. I was intrigued only because they say it works faster than conditioning, but of course, not for all dogs. I'm reading now. Just wondering if anyone heard of it, has any experience with it.

Here's a link for more info: https://www.turnandfacereactivedogs.com/about-taf

Koji is getting worse; we're wondering if his eyesight is going. He actually growled and then barked at a car. This wasn't his "I'm a herder, I need to herd" type, but more of a, "I don't like that, I'm going to growl and bark". It was the weirdest thing. He's also been growling/barking at nothing (well, of course, nothing I can see). So, y'know, it was interesting that I came across this. I thought I read most of the "good" ways to help control reactivity/aggression. Guess not. LOL

2. tofu pup

tofu pup Moderator

Aug 28, 2009
    Brooklyn, NY
    I'm always leery of anything that a) promises "instant" results or b) requires that you pay up to even get an outline of what it is, and of course this does both! But - I'd be very curious to know if it helps Koji. And if it works, then it's worth it!

I'm guessing that it's not much different from the standard protocol for reactivity... monitor for arousal, interrupt arousal, and modulate arousal as needed.

Caro likes this.
  3. k9kreationz

Oct 24, 2008
    Portland, OR
    Oh, I totally agree!!! I don't know if I'd purchase anything, I'm just curious to see if anyone has heard of it. The random stuff I've been reading says it works, BUT, we also know sometimes, some things are more detrimental than helpful, long-term.

4. k9kreationz

Oct 24, 2008
    Portland, OR
    FYI. Interesting read about what makes a good technique or not....well, if what you're reading about is good/bad. I'd say I approach techniques like this, so yay for me. :)
    http://ems-dogsense.blogspot.com/2016/12/evaluating-new-method-how-why.html

This is what the author says about the TAF technique.
    It's interesting. I already do something like that with Koji when he won't settle down and is getting even more aggressive/reactive. I will squat down and have him look at me and block his view until he settles enough so he's not over his threshold.

5. Hanne

Hanne Forums Enthusiast

Nov 13, 2014
    Danmark
    When I, among other things, Reads this:

So here's some methods much promoted and marketed by Cesar Millan - the alpha roll, the slip lead high up the neck and jerked hard, the use of prong and shock collars
    Then I'm totally done :gaah

6. Caro

Caro Moderator

Jan 14, 2009
    Canberra, Australia
    I'm wary about it too. All the 'about' section talks about his how great it is, how successful it is, blah blah. No mention of what it actually is, nor how it works. Plus she talks about how people read her book and applied it and, gosh how it worked. Hmm, I agree it is stepping into the CM realm.

7. tofu pup

tofu pup Moderator

Aug 28, 2009
    Brooklyn, NY
    This sounds good to me, and it's in keeping with every other approach I've heard of that deals with reactivity. Once you understand how reactivity works, and how it can be built, you can learn how to identify arousal in your dog, how to interrupt/reduce it, and how to encourage calm.

I'll confess that my little black Spaniel came to me with some intense leash reactivity. I'd never had a dog that did that before! But once I understood what she was experiencing, and could identify it, I was able to start controlling the variables in such a way that she spent most of her time under threshold. She's improved a LOT and has gained a great deal of confidence. It does get better!

8. Cara Sandler

Cara Sandler Forums Enthusiast

Jul 11, 2015
    Florida
    Yup, seeing Cesar Millan's name makes me run not walk the other way.

Piper's mom and Hanne like this.
  9. k9kreationz

Oct 24, 2008
    Portland, OR
    OMG! I didn't see that. But I'm with you on this one. Where was that part?

10. Hanne

Hanne Forums Enthusiast

Nov 13, 2014
    Danmark
    If I remember correctly, it's from one of the links, but not quite sure :no: