Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest, Welcome to the new version of Sheltieforums.com. If you have any questions regarding the new software, please post in the following section: Forum Upgrade

UDX leg # 2

Discussion in 'Obedience' started by 2GoodDogs, Mar 15, 2016.

1. 2GoodDogs

2GoodDogs Forums Enthusiast

Jun 17, 2010
    atlanta
    It was the local club's trial, and Saturday we earned our 2nd UDX leg!!! Woohoo!

A little disappointing that we couldn't get it together on Sunday where we NQ'd both classes. A bad dumbbell toss and he ran around directly to the dumbbell and then jumped on his way back... (eye roll, yes we have proofed for this)

I have hit a speed bump with fronts... he is circling me twice before he comes to front, or going directly to finish, and on Sunday he stopped to far away with the scent article that we nq'd. :(

Oh well, it's back to playing and training and I'm 2 UDX legs ahead of where I was. :) Next trial might be in Perry in May...

corbinam likes this.
  2. Calliesmom

Calliesmom Moderator

Mar 29, 2008
    near Mobile, AL
    Congrats:yes:

sorry to hear that Sunday didn't go as well

3. 2GoodDogs

Jun 17, 2010
    atlanta
    It wasn't that bad, but it felt awful... I felt like not returning the scent article to front was a stress/trust issue...

https://youtu.be/N9YNJoFCL-g

Last edited: Mar 16, 2016
  4. Calliesmom

Calliesmom Moderator

Mar 29, 2008
    near Mobile, AL
    I've felt runs to be really bad but then they don't look as bad in the video.
    but obedience- it's much longer while you are in the ring and there's more time to feel bad about the performance. no idea if we'll ever get that far- we have to fix our stays before we can even think about entering novice. we'll probably finish up beginner novice sometime this year- whenever I can find a trial to enter. we missed our normal first trial because it was the same weekend as the herding trial- and there are more obedience trials than herding trials:winkgrin:

5. 2GoodDogs

Jun 17, 2010
    atlanta
    Why can't they move our two towns closer together?! I'll bring all the obed and rally trials, you can bring herding and together there will be a plethora of agility. :D

I just dropped out of agility classes. :( Too expensive for two, and after 2 years, we still don't have a commitment to weave. He's fine with 12 poles in the practice area but can't do them on the course.. (another forum for this!)

Anyway, I really need you and your foursome for my budding sheltie drill team to perform at the Duluth parade! :)

6. Calliesmom

Calliesmom Moderator

Mar 29, 2008
    near Mobile, AL
    Parade? when might this be?
    it would be nice to be closer than 6 hours....

7. 2GoodDogs

Jun 17, 2010
    atlanta
    We tried for UDX leg 5 over the weekend... thought it would be easy peasy... Hmpfff.. I got humbled. Saturday In Open we did a great job up until he laid down on the sit before I got out of the ring! That hurt my feelings! Then wonder boy missed the down signal in utility. My fault, I'm sure I flashed it too fast to register. Oh well... I thought sunday would bring the glory..

Sunday came and opps, no down signal in utility again.... wth????? He hasn't missed signals in awhile. Everything else was good. In open he wasn't doing his best but we went into groups qualifying so far. the down stay was first, great... we had practiced those sits a lot, so was happy he stayed down. Then, the sit. Longest 3 minutes in any day... I came back and the boy was rocked way back on his fanny, but as slouching as it was, it was a sit. GOOD DOG. One green ribbon doesn't get me anything, but it did save a wee bit of the weekend for me.

Now to pin my hopes on January for that half way leg to the udx

I am such a wimp, I entered Flyer in wildcard classes on Friday night. We did wildcard novice and had a somewhat distracted run but did pretty decent, our score was a 195 (We wildcarded the On lead heeling so saved some deductions there!) In wild card open, I chose the drop on recall as the wild card but that turned out to be our best exercise and won that class with a 188. He was distracted but got his principal parts. Not ready for prime time but we turn back to the rally ring in two weeks, looking to finish up Adv and start Ex.

Horrible video of Flyer, I apologize...

8. 2GoodDogs

Jun 17, 2010
    atlanta
    Our loser leg in utility on Sunday... geeze, why do I even want to post this...

9. Calliesmom

Calliesmom Moderator

Mar 29, 2008
    near Mobile, AL
    there are good things there- Justus is enthusiastic about everything.
    utility people at our trial had issues this weekend as well. some with signals, some with jumping.....
    at least Justus didn't have to shake dirt off his glove:winkgrin:

2GoodDogs likes this.
  10. Calliesmom

Calliesmom Moderator

Mar 29, 2008
    near Mobile, AL
    wow, what happened to the cute little puppy? Flyer is all grown up now:yes: He looks pretty cute heeling. You should have gone ahead and went for Novice- that's what I did with Jocu in Rally Adv. even though we hadn't practiced much, he was able to qualify. we will have to work on some of the signs before we enter again......
    I figure with team and brace, we'll eventually be able to do real novice someday.....