Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest, Welcome to the new version of Sheltieforums.com. If you have any questions regarding the new software, please post in the following section: Forum Upgrade

Undercoat Rake

Discussion in 'Grooming' started by take4roll10, Oct 5, 2011.

1. take4roll10

take4roll10 Moderator

Aug 31, 2009
    New York
    When brushing Bailey, I've always used a pin brush, slicker brush and a greyhound comb to line brush. The greyhound comb always did a decent job of removing her undercoat.

At agility class last night, my trainer brought an undercoat rake. I decided to try the rake while we were waiting our turn. I couldn't believe the amount of fur that was coming off Bailey...and I just line brushed her the night before! :eek2:

My trainer actually let me keep the rake. It's a metal-toothed, double rowed rake. She works for the company and has a box full. :biggrin2:

I never knew how important an undercoat rake is for a sheltie when shedding. Poor Bailey. She hates being brushed and now I have another "torture" device.

2. Chanku

Chanku Forums Regular

Oct 3, 2010
    Sweden
  3. nbrard

nbrard Forums Enthusiast

Bailey sounds like Mikos, or Mr. Fidget as he is called on the grooming table! I have found that the rake works better for me than the slicker and comb after the pin brushing and seems to speed up the process a bit.

4. take4roll10

take4roll10 Moderator

Aug 31, 2009
    New York
    whoa! That's a lot of fur! I don't think the furminator is good for shelties. It can strip their top coat.

Since Bailey tries to kill the brush when I groom her, I try not to brush her all at once. I split it up into 2-3 days. She's really shedding right now. I have to vacuum my apartment every morning.

5. sable

sable Premium Member

Oct 2, 2008
    Ohio
    I have rakes here, and I love them, vs. anything else after I brush the two.

We have tumble weeds right now, and jaws the sweeper is really working over-time.

6. dmeyer123

dmeyer123 Premium Member

Jul 18, 2011
    Eastvale, CA
    Lexi hates being brushed also. I find if I try to brush her on the floor, it's nearly impossible. However, If I put her up on a counter or table she is much better. I like the rake, but the furminator is just too much for us.

7. Chanku

Chanku Forums Regular

Oct 3, 2010
    Sweden
    I had no problem with that :smile2: I know a lot of people with shelties, japanese spitz and other breeds that uses Furminator without any problem :smile2:

She gets a bath, then a blowdry and then a proper brushing. Works okey :smile2:

8. Emmasmom

Emmasmom Premium Member

Apr 2, 2010
    Canada
    I use the rake as well - wouldn't be without it. Wish I had had it for Hamish and Noah and didn't. It makes such a difference in getting out the undercoat.

9. corbinam

corbinam Moderator

Oct 14, 2008
    Ohio
    I just wanted to chime in and say my two are shedding like crazy right now too...definitely time for a good undercoat grooming!

10. Calliesmom

Calliesmom Moderator

Mar 29, 2008
    near Mobile, AL
    Until the multiple grooming/brush threads on here- I only used the undercoat rake- I didn't have any of the other brushes. I still use it the most when it's grooming time:yes: