Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest, Welcome to the new version of Sheltieforums.com. If you have any questions regarding the new software, please post in the following section: Forum Upgrade

Understanding lines and breeding

Discussion in 'Pedigrees' started by roguskie, Jun 25, 2017.

1. roguskie

roguskie Premium Member

Oct 12, 2014
    New Zealand
    Hi guys... so our possible sheltie pup has fallen through (breeder decided to run him on) so we are back to square one really. Being in NZ we have a limited number of breeders. In saying that my 2nd cousin who i am with often is hoping her dog is in pup so im wondering how you know the line is one of good conformation etc?

I can access both parents pedigree via the nzkc website if it helps answer my questions.

2. Ann

Ann Moderator

Feb 25, 2008
    Western Connecticut
    Your best bet would be to connect with a Sheltie breeder who knows the lines in your country, if you're looking for a puppy to show. Perhaps s/he could look at the pedigrees of your cousin's dogs and give you some idea about them. Or, if you can, go to a dog show and try to connect with a breeder there who can help you. It may involve getting on a breeder's list to wait for a litter of puppies. Even in the U.S., it can be tough to find companion puppies unless you're on a breeder's waiting list.

I hope you can find a puppy to add to your family soon!

3. Caro

Caro Moderator

Jan 14, 2009
    Canberra, Australia
    What exactly are you looking for? Are you wondering how to tell if your 2nd cousin's pups will be show worthy or are you looking for other show lines?