Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest, Welcome to the new version of Sheltieforums.com. If you have any questions regarding the new software, please post in the following section: Forum Upgrade

Unusual top line?

Discussion in 'The Sheltie Standard' started by Zana, Nov 17, 2017.

1. Zana

Zana Premium Member

Nov 15, 2017
    Boise
    I'm not too sure about the standard. All the pictures I've seen all look normal to me with straight backs. (Front and rear look almost straight) but my gal is strange. She has a slant. Rear end seems to be taller than her front. Is this normal in shelties?
    Could it be because she's a bit chunky? She's 28 lbs when we got her and had our family vet exam. She is not tall at all. Right now her coat is all different lengths. Some as short and some are really long. She does have a double coat. She turned 4 on the 4th of this month.

We already have a diet and exercise plan provided by our family vet. Because her 2 weeks arnt up yet from her spay, we can only do walks. But after 2 weeks, we r going to get her in shape.

Ill try to get a picture of her from the side, but I don't think, you would be able to see it.

Thanks

2. Chris

Chris Premium Member

Feb 25, 2008
    Northern Virginia
    I suspect her topline is affected by her weight, but not all Shelties have a perfect one. It might take a while And use the code SHELTIE for a discount!before her coat fills out. Meanwhile, I have seen wonderful results with Vibrant Pets supplement -- great for joints, too. www.vibrantpets.net

3. jaleely

jaleely Premium Member

Nov 16, 2017
    Ventura, CA
    Just random here, but, with large breeds, cartridge can compress, called "knuckling over". If there was a lot of pressure or, some other issue, while she was growing, it can happen to smaller breeds. Check her front legs, wrists, elbows, and the streightness, or curve of the bones. Just something to Google :)

4. corbinam

corbinam Moderator

Oct 14, 2008
    Ohio
    It's likely structural (genetic), though it is something that is improved with proper weight. You may find it evens out a bit and she is more comfortable when she loses a bit of weight.