Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest, Welcome to the new version of Sheltieforums.com. If you have any questions regarding the new software, please post in the following section: Forum Upgrade

UPDATE: Hemp Oil and Bitsy Boodle

Discussion in 'Drugs & Medications' started by Chris, Oct 18, 2017.

Tags:
  1. Chris

Chris Premium Member

Feb 25, 2008
    Northern Virginia
    DISCLAIMER: I am not a veterinarian. Please verify my research for yourself and talk with your veterinarian.

So I've been researching for a few days and talking with hemp oil companies and my vet about hemp oil. Here's what I learned:

All hemp oil products are NOT created equal. Hemp seed oil (preferably cold-pressed, organic, non-GMO) is great for general health. It has a great balance of the omegas. However, it's not useful for nausea or pain. For that, you need hemp oil containing other parts of the plants (processed to remove THC, the hallucinogenic component) which produces CBD (cannabidiol).

My vet is just learning about hemp, and he provided me information about Peak Therapeutics Hemp Extract (CBD 100mg/ml) @ $190 for a 30 ml bottle. https://peakvetscom.vetmatrixbase.com/istore/5113_nutraceuticals.html

I did some more research and found Carolina Hemp Company's Peak Hemp Full Spectrum Hemp Extract Oil (CBD 1500mg/ml). It's organic, non-GMO, vegan, gluten-free, and probably planted and harvested by vestal virgins.
    https://www.carolinahempcompany.com/products/peak-full-spectrum-mct-cbd-oil

This is the strongest extraction permitted, according to the person there I spoke with. A 30 ml bottle ran me $117, with shipping and a 5% discount. Dosage to start, recommended for dogs, is 1/4 ml twice a day with food. If no improvement in 5 days, up the dose a quarter ml per dose at a time.

Bitsy is not doing too well right now. She is in obvious pain and only eating half her food in the morning, so we feed in small batches. I also started her on Metacam for help with the pain until we get the Peak Hemp. I'll keep you posted on our journey.

2. ghggp

ghggp Premium Member

Aug 28, 2011
    Grosse Pointe, Michigan
    Chris, So sorry to hear that Bitsy is having a difficult time right now... I can feel for you with her not eating... or only eating half of what she needs. It is so exasperating when you try to get them to eat and they just won't. Please let us know how she progresses with her new meds.

I had a hell of a time getting Laddie to eat or drink for that matter. After trial and failure, I finally got a combination that he can tolerate and keep down!

Prayers to you and your dear Bitsy!

Chris likes this.
  3. Chris

Chris Premium Member

Feb 25, 2008
    Northern Virginia
    The Metacam has kicked in -- like a miraculous change!!! We didn't use it before because of her liver values. But now, it really doesn't matter.

4. take4roll10

take4roll10 Moderator

Aug 31, 2009
    New York
    Hmmm interesting about the hemp. I'm curious to see if it helps or not. Very happy that the Metacam kicked in! Hope it continues to help.

Chris likes this.
  5. Ann

Ann Moderator

Feb 25, 2008
    Western Connecticut
    Glad to hear she's doing better on the Metcam, Chris. I hope the progress continues. It's frequently trial and error to see what works best with these seniors, I've found. I'm glad she's more comfortable. Pats to Bitsy and hugs to you.

Chris and ghggp like this.
  6. Margi

Margi Forums Enthusiast

Nov 2, 2012
    Corona, AZ
    I have a friend with senior airedale she is trying everything to help with pain...following with interest.

Chris likes this.
  7. Sharon7

Sharon7 Premium Member

Oct 31, 2009
    Southern California
    Poor Bitsy Boodle. I'm so glad to hear the Metacam is helping her right now and I have all fingers crossed that the right hemp supplement will help without undue side effects. I know this is such a struggle, Chris and I'm sending you all good thoughts and healing energy for Bits to have some more quality time with all of you. :hugs

Chronic pain is such a booger.....

Chris likes this.
  8. Chris

Chris Premium Member

Feb 25, 2008
    Northern Virginia
    The HempGold is supposed to be 5mg per dose. That seems a bit high to me. The Peak Full Spectrum still lasts longer.

9. ghggp

ghggp Premium Member

Aug 28, 2011
    Grosse Pointe, Michigan
    So glad the Metacam is helping!!!

Chris likes this.
  10. Pam

Pam Forums Enthusiast

Mar 4, 2017
    Glad to hear the Bitsy is doing better. It is interesting to hear about the hemp oil. My beautiful angel Shadow was in such pain the last days of his life, it would have been good to know about. It is so hard to try and find the food they will eat, I know I got so anxious just trying to keep enough things in the house to try and get a little something down him. So good Bitsy is doing better.

Chris likes this.