Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest, Welcome to the new version of Sheltieforums.com. If you have any questions regarding the new software, please post in the following section: Forum Upgrade

Update on Lacey

Discussion in 'Agility' started by Judyg, Mar 6, 2017.

1. Judyg

Judyg Premium Member

Oct 20, 2013
    Riverside, Ca.
    I have not been here in a while and thought I would give an update. We are still stuck in Novice Standard, I'm beginning to think we will never get that last leg, however we blew through JWW. This weekend Lacey earned her Open Preferred Jumpers title and we moved up to Excellent Preferred.

So now I get to spend all day at a trial. Excellent jumpers runs so much earlier than Novice Standard. It's going to be some long days!

Last edited: Mar 6, 2017
  2. Cleo2014

Cleo2014 Premium Member

Jun 23, 2015
    Terre Haute, Indiana
    I am stuck in a rut with Cleo. Something is making her really stressed out while at trials and she has developed this sniffing issue. We are in open JWW but still stuck in novice standard. So I feel your pain. Congrats on Lacey getting to move up to Excellent Preferred in Jumpers though. :)

3. Judyg

Judyg Premium Member

Oct 20, 2013
    Riverside, Ca.
    Brittany, Maybe it has something to do with their both being 2014 babies? I don't know. With Lacey I think part of it was having to wait so long for Novice Standard. She was tired and wanted to go home, or maybe that was me!!! We were at a different venue too so maybe that had something to do with it? I'm just guessing. We only have 1 leg to Q in Standard and move up to Open. I guess I need to just be patient and let it happen. My trainer told me that sometimes Novice handlers end up staying in Novice for months. I just don't get why we got all the way to Excellent in JWW so fast. Our first trial was at the end of December.
    I have the videos of both of our runs and I'm sure she will tell me what I did wrong. She also has a dog that tries to make it's own course so I know she will have some insight.

4. Cleo2014

Cleo2014 Premium Member

Jun 23, 2015
    Terre Haute, Indiana
    Yes I have been told the same thing. And I have also noticed that some dogs do better in jumpers due to not having contacts. I only have one Q in Standard so I have two to go. Cleo was doing really great in jumpers. I am thinking our problem is new venues and the fact that we practiced outside all summer and now that we are inside it bothers her. One time she completely flaked off of the A frame and I was in total shock because she has never done that. After that, she shut down and I had to grab her and walk off the course. We have moved passed that issue and are completing courses, but all she just wants to just trot along and sniff everything (I know that can be a sign of stress). I was thinking it may be due to the turf and the area you wait to go in. People treat their dogs there and little bits of treats get on the floor and I begin to think she thinks the entire course has little bits of treats. HAHA. I pick her up now and don't let her down until we get into the ring. Only did that once and turned out much better. I am going to try it again at the next trial I am at and see how she does. I just need to build up her confidence again and get her moving. Make me the most exciting thing in the ring. You seem to be doing much better than I am. It is a work in progress for sure.

5. Lanie

Lanie Premium Member

Nov 9, 2013
    California
    You won't be in Novice forever, don't worry. You guys are doing so well!

Judyg likes this.
  6. Judyg

Judyg Premium Member

Oct 20, 2013
    Riverside, Ca.

I really hope you are right. It may have been because we were at a different venue and she is much more comfortable running at the other place. Who knows.

7. Lanie

Lanie Premium Member

Nov 9, 2013
    California
    It's really dark in there. A lot of dogs don't like it.

8. Calliesmom

Calliesmom Moderator

Mar 29, 2008
    near Mobile, AL
    Congrats on your open jww title:yes:

Dixie actually Qd in Std before Jww until we got to Exc- then she got into Master's Jww before Std. Destin also Qd in Std before Jww. it does seem that most dogs do better in Jww than Std until they get the confidence and experience to Q in both.
    I'd say don't obsess over that Q- it will definitely make it take longer as you tense up and everything goes wrong. just plan your run and try to go with it and have fun- then you'll Q before you know it:smile2:

Lanie and Judyg like this.
  9. 2GoodDogs

2GoodDogs Forums Enthusiast

Jun 17, 2010
    atlanta
    CONGRATULATIONS!!!! And to think it was just yesterday she was a wee puppy!!!! Awesome job you two!!!!

Judyg likes this.