Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest, Welcome to the new version of Sheltieforums.com. If you have any questions regarding the new software, please post in the following section: Forum Upgrade

Vogue is coming out her shell!!!

Discussion in 'Sheltie Chat' started by k9kreationz, Sep 29, 2017.

1. k9kreationz

k9kreationz Premium Member

Oct 24, 2008
    Portland, OR
    I wanted to post because I know you'd all understand. When I first got Vogue, I truly think the airplane/airport traumatized her. She is so sensitive to everything; noises, beeping; talking too loudly. And in my little 1 bedroom apartment, she'd hide out in the bedroom half the time. When I'd play with Koji, she didn't like me throwing his toy, unless I was scratching her belly. So, I'd be giving her scritches while tugging and playing fetch with Koji. Sometimes, she'd get super excited (usually for food) and jump up like Tigger and even bark at me (rarely). She's been like this, mostly since I've gotten her and I figured she's just too lady-like to get all excited.

Well, my gawd, the tides have turned! We bought a house, two floors, and it has a backyard. Not huge, but enough to run around. With a somewhat low deck (about 1.5 feet high) that covers a portion of the area. Vogue has barked at a cat and chased it away. She chuff barks when she goes out to potty (let the neighbors know she's there?). She LOVES to roll in the grass (I say ugh to that, lol) and sunbathe. She hangs out with us in the living room if we're not too loud or moving things around (we're still settling in). She loves her new bedroom (she loves the bed in the spare room; so we just call it her bedroom). The bed is the level with the bottom of the window and the other morning, she was barking at someone. LOL. And again, ugh.

And last but not least, I was playing with her one day outside. Like, chasing each other around. Usually, if I get close to her in a playful manner, she gives me her belly for rubs. She barked at me, we ran around. She loves jumping up and off the deck. It was great...until Koji chased her and barked at me, then it was over. Boo! But! I got a few great awesome minutes out of it. Seriously, I was about to cry.

She's also WAY more animated. Of course, more during feeding time. But she does the Sheltie spin and I get lots of tail wags when I get home and paw stomping. MORE paw stomping again! She hasn't done that since I first got her (she loves my bf and is also scared of him when he gets irate, in general - which is often :unsure:). I think that took her awhile to get over too.

I love that she's coming out of her shell. My bf used to say, "I'm always worried she'll try and run back to Minnesota". But I think with the house, she feels less things "on top of her" and is able to be more herself. She was used to lots of space, so I get it. I'm sad she was stuck with me in my apartment, but I'm glad she's got the house and her very own bedroom! Seriously, the dogs love that bed; I lay with sometimes and we just look outside, lol.

It's been a long road and I was always worried that she might be better off with someone else. But with the house and quieter neighborhood, we can take walks (w/o being on a major 4 lane road), we can play leash-free, she can go potty leash free again, I can keep Koji away, more space. I wish I could have gotten a bigger yard, but I'm just grateful to see her being a dog again and enjoying life.

Thanks for listening. I am just so happy she's happy(er).

Attached Files:

ghggp, Hanne, corbinam and 1 other person like this.
  2. corbinam

corbinam Moderator

Oct 14, 2008
    Ohio
    Cheryl, love love love reading your post about your sweet girl! Thanks for telling the story so well! I can just picture her smiling face. So glad that she's come out of her shell, and I bet you'll see more of that as you all get more settled in! (And congrats on the new place!)

ghggp likes this.
  3. Hanne

Hanne Forums Enthusiast

Nov 13, 2014
    Danmark
    Thank you - Nice to read such a lovely post.

4. ghggp

ghggp Premium Member

Aug 28, 2011
    Grosse Pointe, Michigan
    Wow, sounds like two completely different dogs from the before and after pictures you paint!

Sounds like the world has been lifted off Vogue! Could completely visualize her joy through your post!

Congrats!

I won't show Vogue's bed to my boys as they would be jealous!

Happy house warming!

5. Chris

Chris Premium Member

Feb 25, 2008
    Northern Virginia
    What wonderful news! She has space and love galore!

6. Margi

Margi Forums Enthusiast

Nov 2, 2012
    Corona, AZ
    Thanks for the happy story! Everybody needs at least one of these a day :)

7. take4roll10

take4roll10 Moderator

Aug 31, 2009
    New York
    So glad Vogue is coming out of shell! A house and different environment can make a huge difference. I have lived in 3 different homes with my dog and I definitely see how having a yard and being in a less busy neighborhood has effected her.

8. k9kreationz

k9kreationz Premium Member

Oct 24, 2008
    Portland, OR
    Thanks everyone. It warms my heart so much to see her happy like this.

Thanks. I can't wait to get the house settled. I'm sure she'll be even more happier...y'know, that there's no more moving things around. Also, as bf said, "maybe it's also because she feels like this is HER place, versus moving in with you....kind of like me" LOL. So, maybe there's a bit of that too.

Oh yeah, don't do it. I have friends that are visiting so I made the bed and next thing I knew, she was lying there, looking all smug like, "thanks for finally making the bed". Now she'll have pillows and a comforter to snuggle into. Well, after my friends leave. LOL

That's so great to know. :) Maybe I'll be able to get an even bigger house with a bigger yard before her time with me ends. She'd probably love that. She loves sniffing around and ew, rolling in the grass.

9. Phil Hughes

Phil Hughes Premium Member

Jul 15, 2017
    Great story...Thanks for the posting about Vogue.

10. Sharon7

Sharon7 Premium Member

Oct 31, 2009
    Southern California
    Late to this thread - but super glad Vogue is making such strides! She must really like her new surroundings. I love the paw stomping, Brooke does this too. :)