Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest, Welcome to the new version of Sheltieforums.com. If you have any questions regarding the new software, please post in the following section: Forum Upgrade

What size crate/dog do you have?

Discussion in 'Crates & Beds' started by k9kreationz, Aug 6, 2012.

1. tesslynn

tesslynn Forums Enthusiast

Mar 3, 2014
    idaho
    My crate gave will fit up to 30lbs. I think they are considered medium size. They work for me. Kaleigh is a bit more crammed now that she is full grown, but when we travel she likes to ball up on her fleece blanket and does ok. They fit side by side in the back of my Mini-tightly. I like that they collapse easy.

2. PonyForever

PonyForever Forums Enthusiast

Jun 23, 2016
    Huntsville, AL
    It was meeeee :biggrin2: And thanks SO much for updating this, it really is super helpful for people coming on here needing advice. I ordered the 30" one, so I think I'll be okay!

3. Phoebe'smom

Phoebe'smom Forums Enthusiast

Oct 22, 2015
    This is a good thing to do. I started off with a crate 18 x 24 which seemed very big compared to a small puppy. It didn't take long to outgrow it and I ended up buying a bigger one. The small one is still out and she manages to curl up in it from time to time.

4. k9kreationz

k9kreationz Forums Celebrity

Oct 24, 2008
    I hear ya. I added Vogue, but I still need to measure her lying down and get photos. It is useful. I mean, I think most of us know if we've had different sized dogs, but when it's your first, or even second, it's helpful! Heck, Koji outgrew Miko's crate. He fits, but he is kinda bunched up.

5. k9kreationz

Oct 24, 2008
    Yay! Sorry I didn't have it up before. I hope the 30" will work for you. :)

PonyForever likes this.
  6. k9kreationz

Oct 24, 2008
    If you can get photos and want to send them to me or post them yourself, it'd be really helpful!

I realize that we never know how big they're going to get. I was told Koji wasn't going to go out of size, but he did, a lot! He got kinda big for his vari kennel crate, but it still worked.

7. k9kreationz

Oct 24, 2008
    Got pics so I can add her info? I would love to see it in the MINI. I wanted one and gave that up when I realized I wanted to do agility. I think that's the stupid/hard thing with Shelties....most places give weight which can be useless. I mean, Koji right now is 20lbs and Vogue is 18lbs. They have about 4" difference in their height. And this is why we like photos. :)

8. tesslynn

tesslynn Forums Enthusiast

Mar 3, 2014
    idaho
    No way to do a pic, sorry. Just measured...17 1/2"W,20"T,24"Deep. The Mini is a hatchback, both fit on the backseat that has been folded down. I opted for this type because it is wire and I can see through them out the back window with no view obstruction. I don't get the whole weight deal, it is more about height. Kaleigh is only 5 lbs more than Savannah but taller and longer. Probably metal stress capacity is why they rate them with lbs?

9. Jess041

Jess041 Forums Enthusiast

Feb 2, 2012
    Houston, Texas
    Hmm while I currently have a variety of crate sizes, I should get pics of Missy in them so people can compare. I have a 30" and 36" wire, 28" and 32" (200 and 300 I believe) vari kennel, and a small mightymite tent. The 28" vari kennel is going away next weekend since I'm telling it to a fellow flyball competitor. I just bought the 32" because while Missy can fit in the 28", it's a little cramped and I don't want to take her to Indy and back in that kennel again.

10. Jess041

Jess041 Forums Enthusiast

Feb 2, 2012
    Houston, Texas
    Missy is 16.5" at the withers and weighs a little under 25. There are shelties who are the same height or taller, but weigh less. She's moderately built and pretty muscular. Not overweight at all.