Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest, Welcome to the new version of Sheltieforums.com. If you have any questions regarding the new software, please post in the following section: Forum Upgrade

What would you do with your dogs if you were unable to care for them?

Discussion in 'Sheltie Chat' started by Sheltie4, Jul 16, 2014.

1. ghggp

ghggp Moderator

Aug 28, 2011
    Grosse Pointe, Michigan
    Something to think about...

I am also single and think about what I would do in this situation.:rolleyes2:

I have drawn up a will that states exactly what happens to my boys upon my death.

However, you bring up an excellent point, if you are disabled for a short period of time. None of us ever wants to think of this. I will draw up a document that outlines my wishes. I am lucky that my sister and brother live close to me and I know they would help care for them. I have also had them at a local dog daycare center that I could use but it would get expensive!

Thanks for starting this dialog as it will make me take action.:eek:

2. Calliesmom

Calliesmom Moderator

Mar 29, 2008
    near Mobile, AL
    got a friend whose dogs I have taken care of for certain situations and also the boarding place where they go when I have to go on work trips.......

3. Shelby's mom

Shelby's mom Forums Enthusiast

Jan 4, 2012
    Fortunately for us our neighbors have always volunteered to help out. We also would have a parents to help too.

We both hav jobs where during and emergency or disaster we can not leave work. So when that happen we just call the neighbor and they take care of Shelby for us.

4. Bradt9881

Bradt9881 Forums Enthusiast

Jan 15, 2014
    Fayetteville, NC
    Short term? I would send them to be boarded. If I could no longer take care of them, I probably would have the collie sent back to his no kill shelter to honor my contract with them, and Fletcher back to his breeder where he also is welcome back for life.

5. Sheltie4

Sheltie4 Forums Enthusiast

Jun 23, 2013
    Kansas City
    With 5 dogs here, boarding costs would be exorbitant, on top of my upcoming out of pocket medical expenses . . not to mention that my shy rescues would be miserable in a boarding environment.

I am so thankful for my fellow rescue volunteers, who have stepped up to take care of my babies for a few weeks.

In this instance, I had plenty of time to work out dog care during my recovery. But I am really thinking hard about what would happen in an emergency . . .

I swear that I have fretted more about my dogs than myself:smile2:

6. Sheltie4

Sheltie4 Forums Enthusiast

Jun 23, 2013
    Kansas City
    Good luck and hoping for a speedy recovery. You are right, the planning is exhausting!

7. Caro

Caro Moderator

Jan 14, 2009
    I keep meaning to put something on the back of my Medicare card, something like "I have pets" and an emergency contact number, right under where I put my medicine allergies. Last emergency I was still in my right mind to call someone (a friend from our flyball days) and say "quick come and get the dogs before the ambulance arrives", and got them to leave the container of cat kibble open near their bowls and grab the dogs meds.

8. Chris

Chris Premium Member

Feb 25, 2008
    First of all, I hope everyone who is contemplating surgery does very well!! Second, Rachael, good on you for taking the wonky girl!

There are three adults in our family, so the odds are in our favor that someone will be there for the babies. However, as time passes, we have a wonderful Goddaughter who will take the furkids should the need arise -- with financial support, of course!

9. Watson's Mom

Watson's Mom Forums Enthusiast

Mar 24, 2012
    This really seems like a great idea.

A few days after Watson came home I ended up in the hospital with some heart issues. (hence why I've just recently sent in his registration paperwork... it got shuffled around with all of my own medical paperwork and you know how the saying goes... out of sight, out of mind :mad:).

Anyway, I was fortunate to have my boyfriend to mind him, but I don't know what I would have been able to do had he not been around. My family is 6 hours away. So, he was leaving the hospital and going home every few hours to take him out and play with him and give him the attention he needed, then came back to the hospital. Thankfully I was out in only a few days. But even after that experience, I really never thought about what to do about him.. and I really should. Thanks for making this as a thread.

10. ute_fan

ute_fan Forums Enthusiast

Jan 23, 2012
    Utah
    Not a pleasant thought to consider, but something we should all plan for. I'm married, so if something happened to my husband or I the other one would just take care of Callie. I really haven't, however, considered what we'd do if something happened to BOTH of us.

My daughter owns her sister, and I guess I've just assumed that they'd take Callie in too if we were both unavailable to care for her, but I should probably clarify that. My son and his wife also have a Sheltie, but he's not been around Callie a lot, and her barking really bothers him (their Sheltie is one of the rare quiet ones).

Thanks for posting this!