Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest, Welcome to the new version of Sheltieforums.com. If you have any questions regarding the new software, please post in the following section: Forum Upgrade

What's the going rate for purebred sheltie puppies?

Discussion in 'Sheltie Chat' started by Fasb's Owner, Oct 11, 2017.

1. Fasb's Owner

Fasb's Owner Forums Enthusiast

Jan 21, 2013
    Morgantown, WV
    As the top title implies, I'm kinda curious what a reasonable price for a purebred sheltie puppy is. I kinda feel like $2,000 or so is the right ballpark, but I'm not sure that's accurate. Is that a close estimate? Too high?

More to the point, I'm wondering if $850 for a purebred that's not show quality is a good price. A breeder contacted me earlier today wondering if we'd be interested in a six-month-old he's looking to find a home for. She was planning to raise the dog herself and enter her in shows, but the dog has grown too large. I don't know anything else about the dog, nor do I know what the breeder normally charges. Obviously, we'd need more info. Don't really care if he's show-quality or not - Fasb would have done terribly if I entered I entered him in a show, but he was a great companion - and price isn't going to be a problem for us), but, as an accountant, I'm allergic to overpaying.

Mostly, I'm curious. I'm going to talk to my wife about this dog, but, as I said in another thread, I'm a little hesitant to commit to a new puppy because of health concerns. I'm not even sure I really want a purebred. I know people who think "mutts" are healthier and smarter. Fasb had enough health problems that might have been genetic/hereditary that I'm at least willing to listen to the other side of the argument.

2. JacqueZ

JacqueZ Forums Enthusiast

Oct 4, 2012
    Akron, Ohio
    $850 for a purebreed by me is a really good price, I don't think I've seen any for less than $1000 from reputable breeders...but our locals don't tend to have many litters, usually it's just retired dogs when I look, so I've never had a chance to contact them to see if the online price is solid or if that is like...the most they would be with some variations for individuals.

3. mimiretz

mimiretz Premium Member

Oct 14, 2014
    denver
    I think it varies by geographic area, as much as anything. While I don't know if $850 is a good price in your area or not, I can tell you that the Sheltie I grew up with (Charlie) was exactly the same situation. He was bred to be a show dog, and at 6 months it was apparent that he was going to be about 3 inches too tall so my parents were able to buy him at a discount. He was absolutely the best pet in the whole world. I was 5 at the time, and he was my best friend, even when I was an angsty teenage girl. So although you haven't asked, iMO fate is telling you that this puppy is being put in your path for a purpose.

Hanne and SheepOfBlue like this.
  4. Calliesmom

Calliesmom Moderator

Mar 29, 2008
    near Mobile, AL
    it definitely varies by region and the Northeast is way more expensive than the South. I believe that the West Coast is also more pricey.
    None of my puppies were over $1000.00 but my youngest is also now 4 years old so I would expect that the prices are higher now. Older puppies are usually discounted as they are harder to find homes for than cute little 8 week old puppies. Dixie had been kept to grow out for show and while she did not go over in size, she was deemed a poor show prospect and I paid less for her than for cute little 8 week old Cranberry (same breeder, same litter). Mostly when a breeder is trying to place an older puppy, they are looking for a good home.
    $850 is completely reasonable for an older puppy and as you are close to the Northeast, you might be in the higher price range areas.

Mutts are only healthier if their parents were healthy- without knowing the parentage, you are just as likely to get the hereditary issues of whatever breeds are in the mutt. Smarter than a sheltie??? not unless it's a sheltie mix:winkgrin:

Piper's mom likes this.
  5. Phoebe'smom

Phoebe'smom Premium Member

Oct 22, 2015
    Southern California
    I agree! This could be good! At six months he has bladder control so you bypass the baby stuff!

Hanne likes this.
  6. Ann

Ann Moderator

Feb 25, 2008
    Western Connecticut
    Cara Sandler and Hanne like this.
  7. Chris

Chris Premium Member

Feb 25, 2008
    Northern Virginia
    Superb price. Here in VA, they run about $1200. I suspect this breeder just wants to find a good home quickly. Breeders rarely make money on a litter, and by now, this Sheltie is a "sunk cost." I recommend going to meet the little girl!

8. corbinam

corbinam Moderator

Oct 14, 2008
    Ohio
    Around here (Midwest) I don’t think I’ve seen anything reputable for less than $1000. But, it does make a difference when they are a bit older, etc. I’d just make sure the health testing has been done

9. Hanne

Hanne Forums Enthusiast

Nov 13, 2014
    Danmark
    Here in Denmark, this would definitely not be possible at that price :no:
    Minnie and her sister were taken to breed - Minnie proved fast becoming too large.

I bought her 3 years ago at discounted price usd 1600 ( prices has risen since)
    She is grown now and is 1.96" too big.
    ------
    I will always buy a dog with pedigree and only from a really serious breeder who provides a proper guarantee.
    The price for the dog is small compared to what it may cost if you are unlucky to get one from bad breeding.

The other day I saw an ad:
    Puppies Mix between cotton dog and Bichon Havanais -The puppies only have all the good sides from both breeds :cry:
    (it's incredible what people can make people believe in)

10. Bailey's Mom

Bailey's Mom Forums Enthusiast

Jun 17, 2010
    Massachusetts
    It can also depend on the breeders situation. We were looking for slightly older dogs when we got Annie and there was a large variation in price, whether spay/neuter was included, etc. Sometimes it depends on the breeder. Annie was not the most expensive dog we located in our search and she was the only one the breeder paid to have spayed before we got her. The breeder wanted her in a good home and that was her primary concern. Her records all checked out with our Vet and she has been a great blessing after we weren't able to make a third match through Sheltie rescue.

I will say this be it rescue or breeder trust your instincts. We talked to several breeders about dogs in the 1-3 year range before getting Annie. There were a few we walked away from that could have been possible matches. Each time it didn't feel right. When we talked to Annie's breeder the only thing I questioned was that the price was lower and it included spaying. However, having done our research, meeting the dog and breeder it clicked and after a year I have no doubts we made the right choice.

Some people have the financial ability to take less for a dog if it means they get more choice over where the dog goes. Others either don't have the financial flexibility or feel people should be willing to pay the value of the dog and are willing to manage a reduced pool of people looking for the dog.

I will say cost wasn't our first priority. We needed a dog that was compatible with our current dog. We were not in a position where we wanted a puppy, but still were looking for a younger dog. Health was clearly another high priority for us. It was interesting to see how different breeders approached the idea of placing pet quality vs. show or agility dogs. My experience showed people had a range of expectations and it was an interesting journey.

While I loved my first two rescue dogs, but I must say going this route of finding a slightly older dog was empowering. For the first time I felt I had some control over the type of dog I wanted and the ability to say no.