Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest, Welcome to the new version of Sheltieforums.com. If you have any questions regarding the new software, please post in the following section: Forum Upgrade

What's the going rate for purebred sheltie puppies?

Discussion in 'Sheltie Chat' started by Fasb's Owner, Oct 11, 2017.

1. Fasb's Owner

Fasb's Owner Forums Enthusiast

Jan 21, 2013
    Morgantown, WV
    Didn't definitely say yes to the dog or anything, but we are going to go meet him (the dog) Saturday. Also saw that there's a sheltie placed with the humane society in a nearby county. A few qualms about that, but it's worth checking into. I'm guessing humane society means dogs caged in a warehouse until adoption vs. placed in a foster home. We'd much prefer to adopt from a foster situation (and thus get to talk to the foster parents), so we'll see.

I know it was only a week ago when I decided I wasn't comfortable taking in a sheltie while I had to worry about my health, but the family wants to proceed and there are ways to make sure the dog is taken care of if I'm not up to all the walks. At the moment, I'm going with the flow and assuming shelites keep popping out of the woodwork for a reason.

Cara Sandler likes this.
  2. Bailey's Mom

Bailey's Mom Forums Enthusiast

Jun 17, 2010
    Massachusetts
    That's the attitude. Somehow this will all work out.

3. Hanne

Hanne Forums Enthusiast

Nov 13, 2014
    Danmark
    :yes:

4. Sharon7

Sharon7 Premium Member

Oct 31, 2009
    Southern California
    Well, maybe the universe is trying to tell you something, LOL. Seriously, I am a big believer in fate. We actually did walk away from a breeder with 8 week old pups and an older 6 month old girl available, because it just didn't feel right. And man, that's hard to do with cute puppies! We ended up finding our first girl Skye, who was the love of our life. My advice, is go with your gut on the dogs, but be open to the idea.

Hanne and Bailey's Mom like this.
  5. k9kreationz

k9kreationz Forums Celebrity

Oct 24, 2008
    Portland, OR
    I would say ask the breeder when you meet with them. Ask them what their regular 8-week pet home puppy would cost and why the discount? I mean, when I found one of my dogs, a "famous" breeder was selling her 9 month old Sheltie, who was going oversize for $1800.....this was back in 1998. I got my puppy for $400. 10 years later, I bought Koji, the breeders 8-week old show quality dog that she didn't want to show....for $600. Okay, granted it was the same breeder as the $400 dog, but I seriously thought this was the going price until I found out show quality, in 2007 should have been at least $1200+.

Personally, I think $850 is decent for a pet quality dog. Definitely make sure they've been tested (parents tested), but I think the meeting will be more important. You'll get a feel for the breeder. The "famous" breeder that wanted to sell her dog for $1800, the first impression I got from her was "I'm important, so my dogs are worth the high price" and that alone didn't sit well with me. Her dogs could have been great, but her attitude irked me.

Good luck. I'm sure Fasb will help you pick out a great pup. Also, if you can't walk the dog and the puppy needs play time, mental exhaustion works just as good as physical exhaustion...if not better :)