Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest, Welcome to the new version of Sheltieforums.com. If you have any questions regarding the new software, please post in the following section: Forum Upgrade

When do Sheltie ears "settle down"?

Discussion in 'Puppies 101' started by Roberta, Nov 6, 2017.

Tags:
  1. Roberta

Roberta Forums Regular

Apr 26, 2013
    Chicago area
    Hello All, My newest Sheltie puppy is just under 6 months old. I have 2 other Shelties (9 and 13) but its been 9 years since I've had a puppy. She is at the stage now when one of her ears is tipping and the other is straight up. Both of my older Sheltie's ears tipped naturally (I didn't glue them) but I remember they both went through stages when their ears stood up straight, or one was up and one was down.

How long does it take for a Sheltie's ears to finally settle down to their permanent position - either tipped or straight up?

I will be happy with whatever her ears decide to do - but I can't remember how old my other Shelties were when their ears finally "settled down".

Thanks! Roberta

2. roguskie

roguskie Premium Member

Oct 12, 2014
    New Zealand
    Usually after teething I thought. Although Pippis ears are not tipped and i tried to tip them and Obi has come with his glued.

Roberta likes this.
  3. Ann

Ann Moderator

Feb 25, 2008
    Western Connecticut
    We keep ear tips braced with either tape or glue until one year old. Usually they're pretty settled when teething is done, around 9 months or so, but some dogs take longer. They can pop up or fall any time before then.

Roberta likes this.
  4. Lexi

Lexi Forums Regular

May 1, 2015
    Europe
    I was wondering the same thing. My girl is 6 months old and we correct her ears from 7weeks, the breeder started because her ears were a bit light already that time. One ear is more persistant and it is standing up the other ear is much better. The others from the litter have no problem and the ears stand naturally. :rolleyes2:
    I don't mind doing it till her one year or over but I will be sad if in the end they will stand up like we have never tried anything:gaah

5. Sharon7

Sharon7 Premium Member

Oct 31, 2009
    Southern California
    That would definitely be frustrating!! We actually got Faith because her breeder said no matter what they tried her ears would not stay down!! So, lucky us! Her ears actually look fine, they are not really big bat ears. I just wouldn't want one ear up and one down....

6. Roberta

Roberta Forums Regular

Apr 26, 2013
    Chicago area
    Thanks for the advice about the Sheltie ears. She is still teething so I guess its too early to say how they will finally end up. I will love her whatever her ears end up looking like!

Roberta