Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest, Welcome to the new version of Sheltieforums.com. If you have any questions regarding the new software, please post in the following section: Forum Upgrade

When is it too late to start taping ears?

Discussion in 'Grooming' started by Myth, Jul 11, 2017.

1. Myth

Myth Forums Novice

Jul 11, 2017
    Hi all! New here, and r/puppy101 wasn't TOTALLY helpful.

Duncan is an 18 w.o. Sheltie puppy. Around the 3 month mark, his ears started to prick from teething. It took a bit to get the Japanese tape - and then I had to leave town for nearly 3 weeks on a family emergency. (My partner took wonderful care of the dogs.) So now I'm back, he's 18 weeks and full-on cutting teeth, his ears are pricked, I have the tape, but I'm wondering if it's worth taping them. Can I still train them? Or are they a lost cause?

(His ear set is pretty good on its own and I wouldn't brace his ears. I'd just tape down the tips. Our other issue is that my partner LIKES that his ears stick STRAIGHT UP.)
    Puppy tax, plus pics of our 5 y.o. rescue Sheltie, River, can be found at https://www.instagram.com/mythezza/

THANKS SO MUCH, TEAM!

2. corbinam

corbinam Moderator

Oct 14, 2008
    Ohio
    I'm no expert, but I don't think it's too late. I'd give it a shot!

3. Ann

Ann Moderator

Feb 25, 2008
    Western Connecticut
    Corbinam is correct. Tape those ears now! If the ear leather isn't too thick, you can still get a nice tip. Just taping the tips as you suggested is fine. I've corrected ears as late as six months old. You may have to keep them taped until he's a year old, but the result is worth it in the long run.

Once you achieve a good tip (since the taping thing gets old fast LOL), you can finish the process by just using pure glycerin. You usually have to ask your pharmacist to order this for you. Rubbing a small amount on the inside and outside of the ear tip every other day or so will weight them just enough to encourage the correct ear set. Good luck!

Myth likes this.
  4. Calliesmom

Calliesmom Moderator

Mar 29, 2008
    near Mobile, AL
    You can get glycerine at Hobby Lobby- found it with the soapmaking stuff......

Ann likes this.
  5. Myth

Myth Forums Novice

Jul 11, 2017
    Thank you for excellent answers! I am heartened and taping them today! :D

Ann likes this.
  6. MissyGallant

MissyGallant Premium Member

Dec 20, 2011
    Sheridan, Indiana