Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest, Welcome to the new version of Sheltieforums.com. If you have any questions regarding the new software, please post in the following section: Forum Upgrade

When to neuter

Discussion in 'General Health' started by Cleo2014, Jul 10, 2017.

1. Cara Sandler

Cara Sandler Forums Enthusiast

Jul 11, 2015
    Florida
    Hanne, over here in the US, among people who do agility with their dogs, the trend is to wait longer. But among people who do not do agility, yes, they sometimes spay or neuter very early :-(

Hanne likes this.
  2. mimiretz

mimiretz Premium Member

Oct 14, 2014
    denver
    Oberon was neutered at 6 months because he was marking everything everywhere, to the point I felt I couldn't take him anywhere. Our vet had said that anywhere between 6 months and a year was appropriate, depending on behavior. The vet also said that once he started marking, he should be neutered fairly quickly because waiting too long ran the risk that neuturing would not stop the marking.

3. Pam

Pam Forums Enthusiast

Mar 4, 2017
    Hi,
    I was told to wait until Beau was over 12 months, preferably 2 years. But Beau started to develop some behaviors including agressive mounting that did not respond to training, and had my sons not want to get near him. I had him neutered at about 11 months and it truly helped. The mounting stopped almost immediately.

Hanne likes this.
  4. Piper's mom

Piper's mom Premium Member

Jun 26, 2015
    Winnipeg Mb
    It's kinda funny but the day after Piper was neutered he stopped marking. I'd had issues with him having accidents in the house occasionally prior to the neuter and it was because he'd never empty his bladder ever, always had to mark. He still try's on a walk to mark but because he always empties it first chance he gets there's never anything left in the tank lol.

5. corbinam

corbinam Moderator

Oct 14, 2008
    Ohio
    I wonder what it is that causes males to mark/not mark. Is it genetic? I only ask because Enzo has literally NEVER marked in the house. Not even when he was young! He's still intact and I'm very lucky that wasn't an issue for us. Just curious if it's certain lines, if it's learned, if it's random, etc.

(And to agree with the others, as long as you aren't seeing very egregious behavior that you can't live with/train, I'd wait until growth plates are closed.)

Cleo2014 likes this.
  6. Piper's mom

Piper's mom Premium Member

Jun 26, 2015
    Winnipeg Mb
    That's a good question Corbinam, Piper-huge with marking (but never in the house, in the house was accidents because he never emptied his bladder) but the breeder kept a male from the litter and she has no problems with it. Of course it could be because he was the only male in a house with about 8 females, plus he's a stud dog too lol. Piper started marking at 6 months but it was really when he was about a year and a half when he started marking at obedience. If he hadn't been marking I wouldn't have neutered him, just too many risks. I'm going to be getting another puppy in the spring (probably a male) so hopefully I won't have a problem because I will be doing conformation as well as obedience.

7. JacqueZ

JacqueZ Forums Enthusiast

Oct 4, 2012
    Akron, Ohio
    With Honey she was around so many unneutered dogs I got her fixed as soon as she was six months, because she and the big rott/pit mix started whining every time they saw each other. After reading similar articles I regretted that need, we've had so many problems with her limping without the vet being able to find any noticeable cause. Because of this, I was super leery of fixing Mango to soon. Especially considering how much she loves jumping every where. We just got her fixed at 1 1/2, and even then my biggest motivating factor was her displaying uncharacteristic possessiveness of toys and spaces towards Honey. We've seen a definite improvement in that since doing so, thank goodness.

8. Calliesmom

Calliesmom Moderator

Mar 29, 2008
    near Mobile, AL
    Cranberry never marked- out of the boys that I have had, I would have left him intact if possible. He was around female BCs in season and never lost his mind - I know he was still young but still to be able to focus around those hormones....
    Destin marked a little but not like Jocu- I would have considered leaving Destin intact unless he started being a pain.
    Jocu- he got neutered to stop the marking and it worked well....

9. ClantyreSheltie

ClantyreSheltie Forums Sage

Feb 24, 2010
    Baltimore
    I almost think marking has nothing to do with testicles in dogs. My male dogs will pee in the house on occasion (excluding the male with some kind of weird water balance problem), but it's peeing, it's not marking. It very clearly tells me I didn't get them out in time. It's not three squirts on a corner. Two of the three are neutered, and all "mark" the same outside, and neutering did not impact the behavior at all, either better or worse.