Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest, Welcome to the new version of Sheltieforums.com. If you have any questions regarding the new software, please post in the following section: Forum Upgrade

Who has a long memory? It's Lahree and Ellie Mae!

Discussion in 'Say Hello!' started by Lahree, Sep 11, 2017.

1. Lahree

Lahree Forums Enthusiast

Dec 15, 2008
    North Texas
    I just did a post search and the last post I made was in 2013! Good Heavens!

I used to be a very frequent flyer on here, but, evidently, time got away from me.

I live in Texas and have an 8 year old sable merle named Ellie Mae. Ellie has been a challenge since we brought her home at 9 weeks. We have been through it all, and we never gave up on her. Unfortunately, last year she became blind. She developed SARS and is now 100% blind. She is a smart, smart, SMART, dog and has adapted pretty well. She does depend on us to guide her around the house--for some reason, she still hasn't gotten the hang of where furniture and walls are, even though we keep everything in the same place. We have developed a system of verbal commands and snapping of our fingers. She quickly has learned: right, left, back, turn around, slow, careful (she goes really slow when she hears this word), wide (swing wide) and if she starts heading the wrong directions, we say "nope, over here." She gets fed at her "place" everyday, which is a rug on a tile floor, so she knows that is home base.

When she first became blind and she was walking through the house and one of us made the hideous mistake of touching her--like petting--she would become irritated because it threw her off her game. She would huff at us and then turn around and go back her starting point and start the journey all over again. She quickly taught us not to touch her while she is self-navigating around the house. She has some kind of system in that sheltie head of hers. :)

Ellie is healthy otherwise and seems happy. She still LOVES to lay next to me on the couch and is still affectionate and sassy. I can tell she misses running in the backyard, but she has 100% self-limited herself on that. She walks slowly and carefully out there. She loves laying out there on nice days and sniffing the air and still enjoys barking--at everything.

Glad to be back here and look forward to reading about everyone's babies!

2. Calliesmom

Calliesmom Moderator

Mar 29, 2008
    near Mobile, AL
    well, we have missed you- hope that your part of TX is ok.
    got some more smerles on here now....
    any chance of a new pic:fl

3. Hanne

Hanne Forums Enthusiast

Nov 13, 2014
    Danmark
    Thanks for your loving story about your little Ellie Mae's blindness.

In such a situation it is vital for them to have a loving home.

4. Ann

Ann Moderator

Feb 25, 2008
    Western Connecticut
    Welcome back, Lahree and Ellie Mae! Isn't it amazing how dogs cope with things...so much better than humans! Pats to Ellie Mae. :love:

5. take4roll10

take4roll10 Moderator

Aug 31, 2009
    New York
    Of course we remember you! Welcome back! I'm so sorry to hear about Ellie Mae's loss of vision, but it sounds like she adapted very well. Happy to see you posting again!

6. ghggp

ghggp Premium Member

Aug 28, 2011
    Grosse Pointe, Michigan
    Welcome back Lahree and Ellie Mae! So heartwarming to hear Ellie Mae's story. With loving and devoted owners to her care she certainly hit the jackpot!

I understand the focus she must have to guide herself...
    My sisters little girl seems to be losing her sight. She has recently been diagnosed with diabetes. She seems to have a similar response when touched while she walks!

Love to see pictures when you get a chance to post some!

7. Lahree

Lahree Forums Enthusiast

Dec 15, 2008
    North Texas
    How nice to see familiar faces! Thank you all for the warm welcome back! I hope to spend more time here.

This isn't really recent, but we had a computer crash not too long ago and we lost almost everything even though we paid for media recovery. :( Ellie looks the same though. ;)

Here is a pic of Ellie enjoying the outdoors:

8. Calliesmom

Calliesmom Moderator

Mar 29, 2008
    near Mobile, AL
    she's still curly- so cute:yes:

9. Chris

Chris Premium Member

Feb 25, 2008
    Northern Virginia
    I remember you! That gorgeous Ellie Mae -- and what a smart girl to have developed the "E-M Navigation System!"

10. Caro

Caro Moderator

Jan 14, 2009
    Canberra, Australia
    It's our curly furred girl. So glad to hear from you. Sorry to hear Ellie has lost her sight- I've never heard of SARS. Deska and Tully are still going, although Deska has really aged and Tully now has a false hip.