Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest, Welcome to the new version of Sheltieforums.com. If you have any questions regarding the new software, please post in the following section: Forum Upgrade

14 week old peeing like crazy!

Discussion in 'Puppies 101' started by Natalie Weldon, Aug 1, 2017.

1. Natalie Weldon

Natalie Weldon Forums Novice

Aug 1, 2017
    Hello! Geez someone help me lol. My new boy who is 14 weeks is a little pee monster (a cute one lol). I have potty trained many puppies. I figured by now he would get better. I've had him since 8 weeks. We started aggressively potty training around 10. I use the lead method inside the house so that I can correct any bad behavior right then and there. I don't give him an opportunity to sneak off. He is also crated when I'm at work and let out every 4 hours. Before anyone says bring him to the vet, I already have and he does not have a uti. I was shocked! He goes to the door about every 5 minutes sometimes for a span of 30 minutes! Sometimes he can't run fast enough to the door and has an accident. He pees a good stream everytime. He holds it through the night for around 6 hrs, we usually get up 1/2 way through for a potty break if I sleep longer than 6 hrs. I feel like he should be able to hold it longer during the day at this point. Does anyone know if there is a possible hereditary problem here or any advice? Also I do not punish him but use positive reinforcement if he does have an accident. Thanks!!!

2. Cara Sandler

Cara Sandler Forums Enthusiast

Jul 11, 2015
    Florida
    Dogs can usually "hold it" for the number of months old they are plus one. So at 3 1/2 months I would only expect your puppy to be able to hold it for 4 1/2 hours at the most.

3. Natalie Weldon

Aug 1, 2017
    Yes I know that but sometimes he needs to go every 5 minutes

4. Phoebe'smom

Phoebe'smom Forums Enthusiast

Oct 22, 2015
    It sounds like he has the right idea. Now he just needs maturity. Can't really rush that. Keep up with what you are doing and buy lots of Nature's Miracle!

jaleely and Natalie Weldon like this.
  5. Piper's mom

Piper's mom Moderator

Jun 26, 2015
    Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada
    The only thing I can suggest is when you take him out don't assume he's finished after he's pee'd once. When my dog Piper was that young he'd have an accident right after I brought him in...then I noticed that if I let him pee twice he'd be good. It seemed that he wasn't emptying his bladder the first time ( excitement about being outside maybe) and so I just waited a little longer until he peed again...and he always did. I also taught him to ring a bell when he had to go out and it really helped the housebreaking. Good luck and have fun...it goes by fast!

Natalie Weldon likes this.
  6. RikyR

RikyR Premium Member

Nov 27, 2013
    Baton Rouge LA
    So true. I was so frustrated with Zulu. He did not seem to get it. Then one day he got it. Not a single accident since. House breaking is very much a lesson in patience!

7. Natalie Weldon

Aug 1, 2017
    I'm gonna give this a shot. Thank you!

Piper's mom likes this.
  8. Cara Sandler

Cara Sandler Forums Enthusiast

Jul 11, 2015
    Florida
    Ohhhhh, I missed that part. Sorry :-(

9. ferg

ferg Premium Member

Feb 10, 2014
    Ohio
    Do you keep water in front of this baby all the time? If you do, he may drink to have something to do when he is inside. Access to water when he is in the crate?
    Bored so they drink water when it is available. That liquid has to go somewhere. lol
    Plus: He is still a baby!
    ferg

ghggp likes this.
  10. Natalie Weldon

Aug 1, 2017
    No water in the crate. I'll post an update!