Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest, Welcome to the new version of Sheltieforums.com. If you have any questions regarding the new software, please post in the following section: Forum Upgrade

18 weeks and counting...

Discussion in 'Sheltie Chat' started by Sandy in CT, Mar 21, 2019.

1. Sandy in CT

Sandy in CT Premium Member

Aug 5, 2018
    CT
    Brodie is 18 weeks today, 13 - 13 1/2 " at the shoulder and 11 lbs. Still following the same curve on the growth chart I have been tracking.

Good things - we started obedience both with Petco and with a training facility. I was thinking 2 classes a week would help us pass level one faster since the training facility isn't the cheapest. Wrong! I was the only one scheduled for their session for Saturday classes - lots of families did not sign up because of spring break and spring sports starting up. We did one class there though just us two. After my Tuesday morning class at the training facility, I cancelled the Petco class. Just more thorough and serious training there. Brodie is the youngest, they do go back and forth with things they want me to use a training collar for and not. Brodie does NOT like the training collar and it's hard to practice with him because 2 days after starting him on it, he refused to go for a walk with me. He also refuses to 'sit' during training - stubborn, stubborn puppy but does it willingly any other time. We have settled for simply wearing the training collar some of the time, not all, but not actually using it. He got a Lepto shot - I have never liked the shot, never gave it to my doxies as they were reactive, but Brodie loves to pick up stick in the yard, we have tons of wildlife, standing water/mud at this time of year and Lepto cases in CT. He still needs the Lyme's vaccine and the 2nd Lepto booster. Yuck! Brodie got his first bath this morning - more on that in the 'bad things'....

Bad things - we have totally regressed in potty training. I am SOOOOO very frustrated. Brodie has NEVER pooped in the house and as of last week, he has been pooping in the house. Yesterday, I made full use of his kennel any time I could not have him right there with me. The downside of that, while he likes the kennel, he just has so much pent up energy that even with multiple walks, he is a pistol. He has also changed a bit in how he is reacting to us, like less forward, more pulling away when we try to pet, less loving, almost immediately - like he is afraid to be put in his kennel. He has not been admonished once for the pooping, I did pretend to cry once or twice - he gets all excited and thinks its a game so I stopped. He does not get any admonishments when put in the kennel, I don't want it to be a bad thing and have always crated my dogs at night and when I leave (doxies - long backs - they think they are acrobats and like to fly off things like kitchen tables they get on). I moved his crate from our bedroom to next to Kooper in the living room and he seems quite content, quiet, makes no fuss in the kennel. We made it all day yesterday and then last night, right after I took him out, he went to the front entrance-way and pooped. He was only out of my site for a tiny bit and bam! I made sure he was properly walked and taken out before putting him in his kennel at 10 pm, he didn't make a peep, not a bark nothing, and had pooped a bit in the kennel when I woke him up at 6. He has NEVER had an accident in his kennel. He got his first bath, he didn't seem too put off by it. I am just soooo discouraged! I have potty trained 2 VERY stubborn dogs known to be difficult to potty train and while they took forever to be 100% reliable and tell us, they 'got it' with the indoor/outdoor thing quicker, except in bad weather. Even though I am trying to get Brodie exercise, time outdoors, walks, he goes out, plays with sticks, leaves, barks at birds and squirrels, then comes in and poops! The more time in the kennel yesterday, the more distracted and longer it took outside to even get a pee. A downside is that both dogs have to be in their kennels or Brodie spazzes; Kooper loves his kennel and is quite content to cover up in his blankies and sleep all day with the door open or shut so at least it is not fizzing Kooper. Maybe I am expecting too much, but I thought we'd be far ahead of the game with Brodie. Keep praying that little light bulb goes on!

KarenCurtis and Katie’s Mom like this.
  2. Katie’s Mom

Katie’s Mom Premium Member

Feb 8, 2019
    Suffolk County,NY
    I just can’t believe how adorable he is!!

I’m training Katie outside using a pen..we play inside and when I see the “spin” ...we go outside to the pen...when she’s done the reward is cookie and long journey outside the pen..she loves those walks.

My last Sheltie always ran right to the marked off area to do her business..so much easier to clean up.

As smart as they are..I really don’t think they’re fully potty trained till they’re teenagers!!

Sandy in CT and KarenCurtis like this.
  3. Ann

Ann Moderator

Feb 25, 2008
    Western Connecticut
    Don't despair, Sandy...you've simply reached the potty-training regression stage! Every puppy I've had (Shelties all) has almost completely forgotten everything they ever knew about potty training around 20 weeks old. You're just going through it sooner. Don't be afraid to give a stern NO if you catch Brodie in the act; otherwise, chastising is pretty useless because they don't know what you're talking about after the fact.

You're doing the right thing. Go back to Housetraining 101 and crate when you can't supervise. Increase the trips outside for potty trips and lavish praise with yummy treats when he goes. He will get through this; they all do, but it's frustrating and painful because you think he's done and trained, but nope! Some of mine had accidents in the house until they were over a year old. :rolleyes2:

He may also be reaching the teenage stubborn stage in training, refusing to sit etc. Just keep at it. Shelties love to please, so he'll figure it out. Make sure the training is positive with praise and treats, keep sessions short and always end on a positive note with something he does well.

Next year this time he'll be grown and you'll look back at puppyhood and think how fast it went. We tend to forget the bad stuff and miss the cute little balls of fluff...not a bad thing! Hang in there!:yes:

KarenCurtis likes this.
  4. GlennR

GlennR Forums Enthusiast

Jan 11, 2019
    Ontario, Canada
    I'm not letting Willow read this, 22 weeks and no regression yet. :censored: I sure hope she doesn't slip up but if she does, we'll just go back to basics as you suggested, not that we ever stray far from that.

Brodie is incredibly cute, it must be hard to stay mad at him.

Last edited: Mar 22, 2019
  5. KarenCurtis

KarenCurtis Premium Member

Jan 30, 2010
    Massachusetts
    Thank goodness he is so cute!!!

Sandy in CT likes this.
  6. corbinam

corbinam Moderator

Oct 14, 2008
    Ohio
    Just curious—what do you mean by training collar?

KarenCurtis likes this.
  7. Chris

Chris Premium Member

Feb 25, 2008
    Northern Virginia
    Yep, he's in the "Vinnie Barbarino" stage (for all you old "Welcome Back Kotter" fans). "Who? What? Where?" All ours did it. Only Layla was almost perfect. She would go out, pee, poop, and want back in. Advantages of getting a puppy in February.

Sandy in CT, KarenCurtis and Ann like this.