Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest, Welcome to the new version of Sheltieforums.com. If you have any questions regarding the new software, please post in the following section: Forum Upgrade

1st post but need help with barking

Discussion in 'Behavior' started by Johnsopi, Mar 13, 2018.

1. Johnsopi

Johnsopi Forums Novice

Mar 11, 2018
    I have 2 lowend resuce dogs that we love had them for 5 yrs but their barking is ruining the quality of life. We moved into a neighborhood this made a bad situation worse. I live on the MD/DE border. I need a vet that does bark reduction. I've tried training and bark collors they just bark thou. I am at the end of my rope. My wife will not rehome them in fear that they will be mistreated or worse. I am at the end of my rope.
    Thanks
    Paul

2. ghggp

ghggp Moderator

Aug 28, 2011
    Grosse Pointe, Michigan
    Please never use a shock collar. I know it must be difficult with two dogs. It is always better to try positive reinforcement.

There are many videos of positive reinforcement on YouTube that may help you.
    How to Teach your Dog to Bark and STOP BARKING!

How to Teach Your Dog Not to Bark, Humanely and Effectively: 3 Things You Can Do Right Now

Maybe you can try a local trainer to help you as well. Just make sure they offer humane techniques. ONLY POSITIVE Reinforcement.

I do have a sheltie that is debarked and he is just fine. He came to me that way. I hope you find a solution that works for you. Good luck.

Last edited: Mar 13, 2018
    Ann and Cara Sandler like this.
  3. Ann

Ann Moderator

Feb 25, 2008
    Western Connecticut
    Hi Paul, and welcome to the Forum! I'm sorry to hear about your barking problem. My Shelties are bark softened and they still bark, but at a much softer volume. The procedure takes 5 minutes and is very simple. Unfortunately, it can be really hard to find a vet who performs this procedure. My suggestion is to find a Sheltie breeder in your area and ask them if they can give you the name of one. You can try your local Sheltie club, or check the AKC website for breeders in your area. Most Sheltie breeders with multiple dogs have had the procedure done. It's far preferable to having to give up your dogs.

ghggp likes this.
  4. Johnsopi

Johnsopi Forums Novice

Mar 11, 2018
    I will call around. I was concerned that they would think I was a monster. My sister said it was common thing with Shelties.

Ann likes this.