Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest, Welcome to the new version of Sheltieforums.com. If you have any questions regarding the new software, please post in the following section: Forum Upgrade

2014 to now...saying hello again, looking to gain knowledge and encouragement

Discussion in 'Say Hello!' started by MidWestJen, Feb 9, 2020.

1. MidWestJen

MidWestJen Premium Member

Mar 8, 2014
    Wisconsin
    Hello everyone,

Back on March 9, 2014 I posted that I got a sheltie puppy, Strider. That puppy is now my handsome 6 year old. Also, I had two other dogs, who I lost within this past year to heart issues and old age. One (a sweet little mix) passed a year ago this month, and one (my beloved Boston Terrier) passed in January of this year. It was so very difficult! Which is why, in my grief, I made, I feel, a somewhat foolish decision. I got two sheltie mix puppies. Yes, from the same litter. No, I didn't realize at that moment that it wasn't the best idea. It seemed like a fantastic idea when I was looking at them. Ha! Well, the first two weeks were extremely difficult for me. I was mourning for my Boston and these puppies certainly weren't making me feel better as I thought they would. Yes, I was busier, but after getting them and reading all the horror stories on having two puppies from one little I was SO discouraged. I really let it get to me.

So I contacted a sheltie rescue here in Wisconsin. They were absolutely awesome and said they had actually seen the ad for the puppies on Craigslist and hoped they'd get into rescue. They were very willing to take one or both. I told her I'd give it just a little time to see, but was so thankful for the rescue backing me up. We've had numerous conversations about them back and forth since then, with lots of ideas and encouragement from their end. It's been three weeks now. The past week has been better than the first two, and I'm definitely starting to bond with Fosco and Bree. They are sweethearts, for sure. Strider likes them and often tries to join in the play. They will play with him a bit individually, but when they're together they pretty much leave him out, which makes me sad, but it's only been 3 weeks. Fosco and Bree are a lot of work (very afraid of everything!) but yesterday I told the rescue I think I'm in this for the long haul. They were thrilled for me! A lot of work consists of separate crating, potty training, basic commands, socialization, etc. They take turns going with me to my daughter's archery league, where they are quite the hit, by the way! They go to Farm and Fleet with me, on walks in the country, etc. Fosco is doing great. He's relaxing in the car, will walk with me down the street and back somewhat cautiously, but getting better. Bree isn't doing as well. She's much more scared.
    They were 13 weeks old and poorly socialized when we got them. The owners were an older farm couple who had a working sheltie and their house dog, a small rat terrier, get together by accident from what I understood. There had been illness in their home and the puppies didn't get much attention and no socialization, which they were sorry for. They were started on shots and were on excellent dry food, so they did care about them. Anyway, they are part of my family now. I will do my best for them. They have such different personalities and really are a lot of fun when I stop worrying about everything.

As I write, Strider is curled up by my legs on my recliner. His usual spot. He is an amazing dog, and I see that more all the time. Fosco is chewing a teether bone on the couch. Bree is in her crate waiting to go back outside. I feel very blessed to have them in my life. I also know that there are still plenty of bumps ahead with raising two puppies together and I need all the insight, encouragement, and inspiration I can get.

If you made it this far..thanks for listening. I needed a place to come and am thankful for Sheltie Nation.

2. Ann

Ann Moderator

Feb 25, 2008
    Western Connecticut
    Welcome back to SN, Jen. I am so glad you connected with us! You've been through a rought time and I'm very sorry to hear about the loss of your precious pups. I'm also very glad to hear that your new arrivals are settling down and fitting in. You've done everything right...going to the best possible resource in rescue for help, recognizing that you were overwhelmed. Don't beat yourself up...we all make not-so-wise decisions sometimes!

It would be fantastic if it all works out and the puppies stay with you. I suspect that the relief of having a backup plan and people to help you with advice made all the difference. Keep us posted on your progress with them and Strider. We love pictures if you want to post some. Good luck and give everyone pats for us!

MidWestJen, KarenCurtis and Sharon7 like this.
  3. Piper's mom

Piper's mom Premium Member

Jun 26, 2015
    Winnipeg Mb
    Welcome back Jen. I'm so sorry for the loss of your 2 dogs but congratulations on the puppies! Whew...one pup is hard (my youngest is now 2) but 2.....lol
    It sure sounds like you've prepared yourself well with lots of info on caring for 2 from the same litter, hopefully over time the young ones will include your older dog in play. Its great that your crating individually and working with the seperately.
    How about some pictures???

MidWestJen, Sharon7 and Ann like this.
  4. TheDailyPainter

TheDailyPainter Forums Regular

Sep 19, 2019
    Take a deep breath, it gets easier! I'm a firm believer that our pets come into our life to teach us something. I can tell by your caring post that there will come a day that you will look back at this time and be so grateful you held on to these two. They are with you for a reason. Be patient, puppyhood is hard but it passes. I predict you will look back on this day and wonder how you could have ever thought you could give them up. I speak from experience, not because of a dog, but because of an African Grey parrot. And expect to feel that regret again...challenging times ahead, then come back here and talk to us. We will see you through.

5. MidWestJen

Mar 8, 2014
    Wisconsin
    I'll add pictures if I can figure out how. I am looking for instructions, but haven't figured it out yet.

6. MidWestJen

Mar 8, 2014
    Wisconsin
    Thank you so much for your replies. Your words truly encourage me. I will be here often.

KarenCurtis likes this.
  7. Sharon7

Sharon7 Premium Member

Oct 31, 2009
    Southern California
    Welcome back, you have taken on a big task but I'm hopeful from your post that it will work out. Take it literally one hour and one day at a time. I'm glad they are in your caring home at any rate. Would love to see pics too, what an interesting mix. You can post a link to a photo sharing site (like Photobucket or Shutterfly) or join here as a premium member.

MidWestJen likes this.
  8. Darren

Darren Premium Member

Nov 1, 2019
    Hello Jen, firstly I'm so sorry to hear about your loss, I know how hard that can be.
    I know it can seem overwhelming at times but if you can stick with it the little pups will be so worth it in time. You'll get as much support as you need here and I really hope things get a little better for you real soon :hugs

MidWestJen likes this.
  9. MidWestJen

Mar 8, 2014
    Wisconsin
    Meet Fosco! 20200206_150853_001.jpg And Bree!
    20200206_165520_009_saved.jpg
    They obviously look a lot alike. Fosco has larger ears and a longer tail. Bree has little ears and slightly more delicate features. Their personalities are quite different.
    20200209_154118_025_saved.jpg
    Strider romping in the new snow. Notice he has natural ears. When he was a puppy I had no idea in the world that anyone did anything with sheltie ears or that they're supposed to be a certain way.

10. Ann

Ann Moderator

Feb 25, 2008
    Western Connecticut
    They certainly look like Shelties, Jen! What cuties! :love: Thanks for sharing the pics.

MidWestJen likes this.