Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest, Welcome to the new version of Sheltieforums.com. If you have any questions regarding the new software, please post in the following section: Forum Upgrade

2018 Goals, hopes and dreams?

Discussion in 'Obedience' started by 2GoodDogs, Jan 5, 2018.

1. 2GoodDogs

2GoodDogs Forums Enthusiast

Jun 17, 2010
    atlanta
    Hi ya'll its freezing here in Atlanta, brrrr! The shelties don't seem to mind, they frolic and play no matter the weather!

I'm looking at a jam packed January and February and then a not much till mid summer. Flyer is making his debut in AKC Open A next weekend (13th-14th), Justus is going to do Preferred Utility (our goal is quietly!)
    and then we have Masters Rally in February. This year will come and go like they all do but I will dream of winning one OTCh point to keep me encouraged that Justus' obedience career is not over. We can always set our sights on the Obedience Master as a worthy goal too... Getting Flyer in Utility this year is a goal too.

I am a little excited about the changes to Rally and soon to be Obedience changes, hope we can make the transitions smoothly!

What's up with your pack, any goals, hopes or dreams?

2. ghggp

ghggp Moderator

Aug 28, 2011
    Grosse Pointe, Michigan
    Well, You, Flyer, and Justus are MILES ahead of Baron and myself!

Hope to eventually get a CD title on him. Might just wait for the cold weather to pass!

Good luck on your upcoming shows. Maybe you can take videos? Always good to see something to shoot for! :yes:

Pam likes this.
  3. Calliesmom

Calliesmom Moderator

Mar 29, 2008
    near Mobile, AL
    well, now that the Rally National Championship is in June instead of March, that gives us more time for Cran to master some of the signs that we still have issues with. We really hope to get in so fingers crossed for that goal:fl
    Dixie needs one leg to get her PCD- I blew her stand for exam which she has never lost points on before.... then she blew the recall as she did not wait for me to call her. that should be the first weekend in March.
    One more novice rally leg for Destin to get his title... 2 more Advanced legs for Jocu to get his title.
    While Cran got his PCD in November, we aren't ready for even Grad Novice so we may do regular Novice just to keep in the ring....
    Cran has 2 Master Rally legs so we'll try and pick up a few more legs for that title. We have a chance at 2 in March, then have to see when the next Rally trials will be.
    and of course, a qualifying performance in Brace would be a plus:winkgrin::pop

Piper's mom likes this.
  4. Piper's mom

Piper's mom Moderator

Jun 26, 2015
    Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada
    I'm so looking forward to this year...after getting Piper's title in Open last October and then waiting for a shoulder injury he suffered to heal it'll be great to get back into the ring! We have an obedience match end of January where I can see how he's doing in Utility and then I'm planning on entering him in a trial in May (nothing nearby until then). I'd love to have him get his Utility then and then work on his Masters title and also finish his Rally excellent (I've put his Rally on hold while we work on his Utility).
    It's bitter cold here too so I'm also looking forward to some warmer weather so I can get back to working outside with him....I so want to take his jumps to a quiet section of park and work him where I have lots of room (my basement is not that big).

5. Chris

Chris Premium Member

Feb 25, 2008
    Here are my Sheltie-related goals and plans for 2018:

Jan: Celebrate Bitsy's 12th birthday!
    Feb: Go to Westminster Kennel Club Dog Show
    Mar: Take Layla to Paris
    Apr: Work at the 2018 ASSA Sheltie National
    May: Celebrate Beckon's (aka Colonel Underpants') 9th birthday!
    Jun: Teach Vacation Bible School with Layla
    Jul: Celebrate Annie Laurie's 16th birthday
    Aug: Attend The Gathering at Sunnybank with Layla
    Sep: Open!!!
    Oct: Steward the Central Virginia Shetland Sheepdog Club specialty show
    Nov: Give thanks for a multitude of blessings
    Dec: Celebrate Layla's 13th birthday

6. Pam

Pam Forums Enthusiast

Mar 4, 2017
    Well, my hopes and goals for Beau are a bit more modest.
    1) Find a Rally Class!!!! This is hard
    2) Improve his off-leash heel, again hard
    3) Improve his recall--I found out the hard way: if you don't use it, you lose it
    4) Maybe try for a CD or Rally Novice trial
    5) Start taking a nosework class. Oddly, these we have around me. He loves playing "find it" with all sorts of containers in the house and I think the impulse control would be good for him
    Finally, Have him be non-reactive, no lunging or barking, when in the presence of our pet birds

Last edited: Jan 24, 2018
    Chris likes this.
  7. 2GoodDogs

2GoodDogs Forums Enthusiast

Jun 17, 2010
    atlanta
    C

Jams likes this.