Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest, Welcome to the new version of Sheltieforums.com. If you have any questions regarding the new software, please post in the following section: Forum Upgrade

2021 ASSA Obedience

Discussion in 'Obedience' started by Calliesmom, May 4, 2021.

1. Calliesmom

Calliesmom Moderator

Mar 29, 2008
    Both Destin and Jocu had 2 legs of Beginner Novice when we headed to Perry.
    Destin was heeling great and doing really well until the sit stay. The judge told me he tried to stay in his sit but couldn't and slid into a down. but he never left his spot.... but it's still NonQualifying so he did not get his title there.
    Jocu did ok but his heeling wasn't as good- I know we got points off for tight leashes and failure to sit. One of the things that the judge mentioned to us in her briefing was that you can give a second command on the recall as the dog has to sit close enough for you to easily touch them. I used that lifeline and Jocu did get a Qualifying score and also 4th place and his title.
    I haven't taken a pic of his ribbons yet although we did get a professional photo taken at the show.

Piper's mom, Sandy in CT and Ann like this.
  2. Sharon7

Sharon7 Moderator

Oct 31, 2009
    Nice report! Sorry Destin got an NQ but sounds like Jocu did fine. I'd be so nervous competing especially at that level!

3. Calliesmom

Calliesmom Moderator

Mar 29, 2008
    it's like any other trial- it's just that only shelties are there:yes::smile2:
    a lot people enter just so that they can compete there- even if their dogs aren't really ready. I did that with Cranberry and Dixie in 2012- it was only their second AKC agility trial so neither qualified but we did have fun...............

Piper's mom, Sandy in CT and Sharon7 like this.
  4. Sharon7

Sharon7 Moderator

Oct 31, 2009
    I dunno, being surrounded by high performing Shelties would be pressure to me! ;) But I get what you are saying.

Piper's mom and Sandy in CT like this.
  5. Sandy in CT

Sandy in CT Premium Member

Aug 5, 2018
    CT
    Such fun to be able to compete! Sorry it did not go well for Destin but good experience for him and got him back in things, yes? Have you been in lockdowns or able to compete? I can't keep stuff straight; some can, some can't. Here I think the competitions that have gone on there are no spectators, only the handler and the dog. Congratulations to Jocu (and you!!!) on his title!!!

Excited to see pics!

Piper's mom likes this.
  6. Calliesmom

Calliesmom Moderator

Mar 29, 2008
    we've been competing- but mostly outdoors in horse arenas. Destin and Jocu have only done rally indoors and obedience outdoors.
    I just didn't think about sitting that long a mat while walking around the ring- wasn't a problem in grass or dirt.
    they each got their second leg in early March in preparation for competing in Perry.

Piper's mom and Sharon7 like this.
  7. Calliesmom

Calliesmom Moderator

Mar 29, 2008
    not all the high performing shelties were there- and those that were there were in the higher classes:winkgrin:

Piper's mom and Sharon7 like this.
  8. Chris

Chris Premium Member

Feb 25, 2008
    You should be very proud. I stewarded for Rally at the National once, and it was seriously stressful for the competitors!

Piper's mom, Calliesmom and Sharon7 like this.
  9. Calliesmom

Calliesmom Moderator

Mar 29, 2008
    we are very proud:yes:

Piper's mom and Chris like this.
  10. Caro

Caro Moderator

Jan 14, 2009
    Wow, sitting in a stay while you walked around the ring is pretty amazing.

Can you explain some of the sections, I'm tossing up whether to do obedience with Kis and I've never actually watched a trial (altho funnily I have stewarded). It would depend if I could manage with my walker tho.

What do those signs you walk around tell you to do (I assume it's different to rally)? Why do you do the figure-8 several times? Can you give hand signals or verbal commands?

Calliesmom and Piper's mom like this.