Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest, Welcome to the new version of Sheltieforums.com. If you have any questions regarding the new software, please post in the following section: Forum Upgrade

3D printed toys?

Discussion in 'Sheltie Chat' started by SheepOfBlue, Dec 7, 2018.

1. SheepOfBlue

SheepOfBlue Premium Member

Oct 15, 2009
    Huntsville,Al
    So I had a grip for a motorcycle that I printed in TPU (thermoplastic polyurethane) and it fell to the floor. So as expected Angus said "this could be Angus's" and was chewing it. He loved it and I was thinking I could print him some chew toys. Any opinions on safety?

The biggest issue I can see is that it would go out the other end and not degrade well in the yard LOL. The harder materials would worry me on the potential sharp edges once injected but TPU is soft (I have three grades of softness available)

2. Chris

Chris Premium Member

Feb 25, 2008
    Northern Virginia
    Did you google it? There may be something out there. I woould think that as long as it doesn't splinter and isn't toxic, it should't be a problem.

SheepOfBlue likes this.
  3. SheepOfBlue

SheepOfBlue Premium Member

Oct 15, 2009
    Huntsville,Al
    Couldn't find much which surprised me. I did find an article on 3D printed cat armor....Spitfire was enthused....

4. MissyGallant

MissyGallant Premium Member

Dec 20, 2011
    Sheridan, Indiana
    I wish I could help you. But honestly, the whole "3D Printing" thing seems like magic voodoo to me. I am fascinated by it. But I really don't understand it. Sorry.

SheepOfBlue likes this.
  5. Caro

Caro Moderator

Jan 14, 2009
    Canberra, Australia
    Many years ago, when mine were pups, there was a warning about giving dogs plastic toys because of potential carcinogens - and that they put them in their mouths and chews which risks exposure. I remember the recommendation was rubber rather than plastic for chew toys. But it was a long time ago, before 3D printing, so yu may just want to do a search on kids toys - theyre always more careful with kids thatn dogs.

SheepOfBlue likes this.