Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest, Welcome to the new version of Sheltieforums.com. If you have any questions regarding the new software, please post in the following section: Forum Upgrade

9 Easy-to-make Homemade Dog Food Recipes

Discussion in 'Recipes' started by ghggp, Jan 18, 2020.

Tags:
  1. ghggp

ghggp Moderator

Aug 28, 2011
    Grosse Pointe, Michigan
  2. Ann

Ann Moderator

Feb 25, 2008
    These recipes are great and similar to what I make using ground meat. I alternate between turkey, beef, pork and chicken / brown rice, barley or quinoa all with veggies and just do it in the slow cooker. Freeze in containers and with the proper supplements, it's a much more healthy way to feed your dogs!

Piper's mom and ghggp like this.
  3. BryanAndLarrysMama

BryanAndLarrysMama Forums Regular

May 28, 2019
    We are switching my boys to homecooked meals. I'd love to know what supplements you're giving your Shelties.

Piper's mom and Ann like this.
  4. Ann

Ann Moderator

Feb 25, 2008
    My home-cooked receipes are from Natures Farmacy, and I use their supplements. First, it's important to make your dogs' food nutritionally complete, so be sure you use a product such as their KA Cal, which supplies the bone meal and calcium found in prepared dog foods. I also use their recommended Dogzymes Ultimate (all-purpose vitamins, minerals, omegas) and Probiotic Max for digestion. Those three will make your food a balanced diet. (click on product names for links) Hope this helps!

sandra jorgenson and Piper's mom like this.
  5. Watson's Mom

Watson's Mom Forums Enthusiast

Mar 24, 2012
    I’m like a necromancer resurrecting old and long thought dead posts….

I’ve been down the road of trying to use kibble as training treats. They did not work for Roxy, not that anything did but I read through these recipes, and I’m wondering if I could make teeny tiny little meatballs to use as training treats.

I mean, I know I COULD but if I did, would I need to add the supplements too or since they would not be the bulk of the diet would I be ok just making as written and adjusting regular meal size down a touch without worrying about making their overall diet unbalanced?

6. Piper's mom

Piper's mom Moderator

Jun 26, 2015
    Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada
    If this was strictly a training treat I don’t see why you’d need to add anything to it. In one of the treat threads there is a post I’d made for a treat similar to Charlie Bears...they are a very low cal treat and if you use a pyramid pan to make they’re very small.
    Here’s the link to the recipe.https://sheltieforums.com/threads/my-version-of-charlie-bear.28923/

Ron Atkinson and Ann like this.
  7. Watson's Mom

Watson's Mom Forums Enthusiast

Mar 24, 2012
    I saw the Charlie Bears post but I didn’t click on it because well, I don’t know what Charlie Bears are. :D I also don’t have a pyramid pan but I’m sure I can figure out a way to make them very small. I also don’t know what a pyramid pan is. :confused2: I will have to look it up.

ETA that was not what I was expecting. :-D

Piper's mom and Ron Atkinson like this.
  8. Piper's mom

Piper's mom Moderator

Jun 26, 2015
    Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada
    This is a pyramid pan..it’s a silicone baking mat but when flipped over you can fill the little divots with the thin batter.
    https://www.amazon.ca/Baking-Silico...ocphy=9001183&hvtargid=pla-916048267144&psc=1
    917574BF-61AC-4B96-BF76-25659ADD6D87.png

Sharon7 likes this.