Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest, Welcome to the new version of Sheltieforums.com. If you have any questions regarding the new software, please post in the following section: Forum Upgrade

A bit of sadness...

Discussion in 'Sheltie Chat' started by Sharon7, Mar 25, 2020.

1. Sharon7

Sharon7 Moderator

Oct 31, 2009
    Southern California
    Over a year ago I posted about helping out a disabled gentleman with his Sheltie. We had gotten to know him and his wife casually through a mutual friend who also had a Sheltie. They got a retired show dog from Meadow's breeder named Jake.

When the wife fell suddenly ill with ALS we helped walk Jake and took him and our dogs over to visit her in the nursing home every few days. She passed a year ago. We continued walking Jake to get him out and get a bit of exercise. He is 9 years old and a gorgeous Tri.

This morning the owner called us and said he thinks it's best for Jake to go back to the breeder now. She said she would take him back at any time and we had told both of them we would be happy to transport when/if that time came.

Since we are going up tomorrow anyway we will bring Jake with us, which makes the trip bittersweet. The dog is the gentleman's only real company but he is being selfless about the dog. Ironically, since he's been ill for some time they had gotten Jake to be companion for the wife because they were sure he would pass away first. So sad.

But breeder told us they love Jake very much and he will stay with them until the end. She is a very kind and reputable breeder IMHO.

2. ghggp

ghggp Moderator

Aug 28, 2011
    Grosse Pointe, Michigan
    Oh, Sharon... how absolutely heartbreaking...
    Thank goodness the breeder is stepping up. I just can't imagine how difficult it must be for Jake's owner.
    I swear I would die of a broken heart if I ever had to give up my boys... they are the reason for me living.
    Bless you, for taking an interest and helping in this very difficult time.
    Must sign off now... tears are flowing ... can't see to type...

Last edited: Mar 25, 2020
  3. Ann

Ann Moderator

Feb 25, 2008
    Western Connecticut
    That is a heartbreaking story, Sharon...both for the poor man and the pup who loves him. Bless you for helping. And the breeder too, for being there when needed.

Darren, Hanne, Sharon7 and 2 others like this.
  4. Piper's mom

Piper's mom Moderator

Jun 26, 2015
    Winnipeg Mb
    How very sad...I can't imagine the pain he must be feeling having had to make that difficult decision.
    Wonderful breeder for stepping up like that, that's why I'd never buy from a back yard breeder! I have no doubt our breeder would do the same. So very sweet of you to step up and help as well, must be sad for you as well.

Darren, Sharon7 and ghggp like this.
  5. DianeP

DianeP Forums Enthusiast

Sep 8, 2019
    Middleton, WI
    Sorry to hear all of this. Honestly, I kept thinking you were going to say Jake was moving in with you.

6. Elei

Elei Premium Member

Jul 10, 2019
    I'm so sorry for Jake and his owner. That is so sad. Maybe the breeder can arrange for Jake to visit his old owner? (Although with COVID19, that might not be smart).

That's pretty much how I got my first Sheltie, Noel. Her owner was an old man, he had a stroke and couldn't care for her anymore. Noel's breeder took her back, and would have kept her forever if the right home hadn't come along (me). I'm sure Noel missed her first owner. She was quite depressed for awhile after I got her.

7. SheepOfBlue

SheepOfBlue Premium Member

Oct 15, 2009
    Huntsville,Al
    Maybe you can make a different excuse to go visit him. Maybe bring one of yours by. My guys went to Mom's for the day a few times in the last year. She missed her dog and there was no way she could have another (she was barely capable of staying by herself). Spitfire and her were huge buddies so they would go over get petted and talked to. Everyone benefitted.

8. Sandy in CT

Sandy in CT Premium Member

Aug 5, 2018
    CT
    That is SO sad!!! I imagine the man will not only mourn his wife now, but Jake as well. :(

Darren, Piper's mom and Sharon7 like this.
  9. Sharon7

Sharon7 Moderator

Oct 31, 2009
    Southern California
    Would love to but he is in frail health as it is so definitely is isolating himself. He said he'd love to see Meadow the puppy after all this calms down so we will go over there at that point.

ghggp, Darren, Hanne and 1 other person like this.
  10. Hanne

Hanne Premium Member

Nov 13, 2014
    Danmark
    Sharon sure sad circumstances.
    What a wonderful breeder.
    It's lucky that Jake knows you
    and you can take him back to breeding.

But a really sad story it is.

Darren and Sharon7 like this.