Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest, Welcome to the new version of Sheltieforums.com. If you have any questions regarding the new software, please post in the following section: Forum Upgrade

A Day In The Life

Discussion in 'General Dog Chat' started by The Quahog, Apr 17, 2021.

1. The Quahog

The Quahog Forums Enthusiast

Dec 1, 2009
    Rhode island
    Please delete if this isn't the place. But perhaps people here will get a little amusement. As my technician who assisted me on this said "I didn't know whether to laugh or cry, though my first reaction was to scream."

Ok, I don’t usually do veterinary gripes, love my job and you have to take the bad with the good. Most of our clients are great, and these days everyone is a little crazy. But there are limits.

So Thurs is a 12 hour day. Long hard day, my last (I thought ) appt turns out to be an anal gland abscess, needs a procedure - to be tweaked and lanced and flushed and all. I finish up a little after scheduled hours and see yet another card in the box. Someone has showed up late.

Turns out it is a very difficult pit bull - so difficult that the only way the owner can control it is to constantly feed it peanut butter, by having it stick its muzzled face in the jar, throughout the office call. It is a follow up from an emergency clinic visit for glaucoma - since then she has been to the eye doctor, a couple of weeks ago, who has her on 4 medications, two of which I have never heard of. I am supposed to recheck the dog between eye doctor appointment to monitor its eye pressure and adjust the meds. Fine. So I get out my tonometer, put some anesthetic in the eye, wait, calibrate the machine, and take my 4 measurements. Then I read through the extensive record and see that they want me to evaluate the other eye to head off possible problems. So I calibrate the machine again, put in the anesthetic and wait, and check out the other eye. While the dog is slurping peanut butter. By now its about 8:45. Still have my phone calls to return.

So I tell her the pressures have come down, not doing badly for glaucoma, a difficult thing to treat, and I would stay the course until the next appointment with the ophthalmologist.
    “So when is that appointment scheduled for?” I ask as I finish up.
    And she replies, “Tomorrow.”

sable, Darren, Piper's mom and 7 others like this.
  2. ghggp

ghggp Moderator

Aug 28, 2011
    Grosse Pointe, Michigan
    Wow! What a day! Sure hope you can take the weekend off to recover! We certainly need people like you who go above and beyond! I ALWAYS try to be understanding as you never know what someone has been through on any particular day!

On your last patient... as they say, you can’t fix stupid!

sable, Darren, Piper's mom and 6 others like this.
  3. Chris

Chris Premium Member

Feb 25, 2008
    Lord, you needed that like a hole in the head!!! It's so good to read you, Quahog -- I've missed you!!

sable, Darren, Piper's mom and 4 others like this.
  4. Sharon7

Sharon7 Moderator

Oct 31, 2009
    OMG. Having been a vet tech myself eons ago I can really relate. I could always handle the animals, it was the owners that made me want to tear my hair out. Sorry this was the top-off to a long hard day for you, Dr. Mac. My WORST (I almost came over the counter at the guy) a young man whose adorable Golden retriever pup was presented all scraped up and with a broken leg, with the comment "Stupid dog fell out of the truck AGAIN". My fellow employee knew to grab my arm as I leaned forward....

Kudos to you for your many years of dedication and, no doubt, tongue biting.

ghggp, sable, Darren and 6 others like this.
  5. Ann

Ann Moderator

Feb 25, 2008
    I can’t imagine all that you veterinary folks endure on a regular basis. You all deserve a medal! :yes:

ghggp, sable, Darren and 4 others like this.
  6. The Quahog

The Quahog Forums Enthusiast

Dec 1, 2009
    Rhode island
    Well thank you. As always you folks are way, way too kind. Chris, I've been hanging around in the shadows, making the occasional contribution on the health boards but trying to keep out of trouble. Though it is true I haven't spun any yarns here for awhile.

I'll toss off another that happened last week, though this one is REALLY pushing the envelope as it is about a cat. So this young man (30 ish) brings in an adult cat, asked me how old I think it is. Now I have no idea, adult cat, fit and healthy, good teeth, could be 5, could be 10, hard to say. But you try to be nice so I say " Can not really say but I would guess maybe about 5-6 years old."
    And he says "Hey man , that is really great. I thought he was a lot older than that."
    So I say "Well, as I say its an estimate, as you haven't had him since a kitten, where did you get the cat?"
    And he says "My Mom got him at a pet store." Ok, that is a bit worrying- pet stores around here haven't sold many kittens in a long time, going in for adopting adult rescues.
    So I ask, with some trepidation, "So.... how long ago was that?"
    And with a minute of thought he replies "Umm- about nine years ago."

ghggp, sable, Darren and 9 others like this.
  7. Piper's mom

Piper's mom Moderator

Jun 26, 2015
    Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada
    You guys really do give it your all! I know when the holistic vet called me with blood work results it was almost 830 pm and she had more calls to make! A thankless profession...I don’t know how many posts I see complaining about veterinary care! I always try to set them straight...they’re the ones who ONLY take their dog to the vet when it NEEDS it and then they ‘shop’ for the cheapest one:gaah!

ghggp, Darren, KarenCurtis and 3 others like this.
  8. Piper's mom

Piper's mom Moderator

Jun 26, 2015
    Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada
    :lol::lol::lol:
    makes you wonder about some people lol.

ghggp, sable, Darren and 2 others like this.
  9. Caro

Caro Moderator

Jan 14, 2009
    Thanks for the cat story - I needed a laugh this morning!

ghggp, sable, Darren and 4 others like this.
  10. KarenCurtis

KarenCurtis Premium Member

Jan 30, 2010
    Massachusetts
    :gaah:lol::lol::lol::lol:

ghggp, sable, Darren and 1 other person like this.