Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest, Welcome to the new version of Sheltieforums.com. If you have any questions regarding the new software, please post in the following section: Forum Upgrade

A "Must watch"

Discussion in 'The Sheltie Standard' started by SheltieLuver, Feb 4, 2013.

1. SheltieLuver

SheltieLuver Forums Enthusiast

Aug 31, 2008
    South Carolina
  2. Ann

Ann Moderator

Feb 25, 2008
    Western Connecticut
    These videos are wonderful for a visual explanation of the standard. Thank you for posting it!

3. dmeyer123

dmeyer123 Forums Enthusiast

Jul 18, 2011
    Eastvale, CA
    Yes. Thank you, that was very informative!

4. Psalms

Psalms Forums Regular

Nov 13, 2012
    Washington state
    Thank you so much for posting these! I did not know that Shelties were descended from Border Collies. I always tell people that we were thinking of getting a Border Collie but went for 'Border Collie Light' instead. Maybe I'm not so far off! Janet

5. Lightplum

Lightplum Forums Sage

Jan 4, 2009
    Rhode Island
    what a great little video series. :pop

6. Jess041

Jess041 Forums Enthusiast

Feb 2, 2012
    Houston, Texas
    I really enjoyed watching this, despite realizing how terrible my dog would be at conformation! One of the things I was slightly relieved to find out was that my dog "tracks to wide" when she walks, both front and back legs. I thought there was something seriously wrong with her joints..

7. Toffee's Mom

Toffee's Mom Forums Sage

Aug 31, 2009
    Nova Scotia, Canada
    Yes, I had watched that a while back, too. It's really good I thought! In depth enough for a confirmation newbie!
    I had often said T wasn't cut out for this running/jumping business, lol. He had to learn to reach his stride and he always used stutter steps, but we're coming along. So the part about their gait really was an eye opener for me as well...
    Goes to show confirmation and form are important for performance dogs as well!

8. BarbV

BarbV Forums Celebrity

Awesome! That's about as compressive as I've ever seen! The only comment I have is regarding colour. The video only mentions 3 acceptable colours: Sable, black and Merle. And saying that blue eyes only acceptable in Merle's

No mention of Tris (grouped with blacks maybe). And what about sable Merle's? With one or more blue eyes, are they a fault? Or are they classified as a Merle?

9. Lightplum

Lightplum Forums Sage

Jan 4, 2009
    Rhode Island
    sable merles are considered a fault in the standard which falls under that catagory of "washed out" sable color. Thus techincally not eligible for show..but we all know there are some sable merles that pull off sable quiet well. Also the only color that is allowed to have blue eyes is the merle, so a sable merle with a blue eye is automatically DQ'd no matter how close the coat color is to sable.

As far as the tris they do mention any of the above colors can have various amounts of Tan on them, which is where they are falling the Tri's under.

10. BarbV

BarbV Forums Celebrity

I always separated bi's and tri's. this is how I always hoped to have 5 Shelties. One of every colour!