Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest, Welcome to the new version of Sheltieforums.com. If you have any questions regarding the new software, please post in the following section: Forum Upgrade

A scary thing happened to Kip’s leg

Discussion in 'General Health' started by Elei, Jan 14, 2021.

1. Elei

Elei Premium Member

Jul 10, 2019
    I’m trying not to freak out here:(

I was walking Kip down a steep trail and he caught one hind leg under a root. Because he was going downhill I’m concerned he may have briefly yanked that leg, but it all happened so fast I’m not sure. He immediately yelped and got free, then growled and barked as he usually does when something scares him. I examined his legs and couldn’t find any tenderness. We walked back to the house and I couldn’t detect any limp. He is still acting fine.

So it seems he is ok, but the reason I’m worried is that this is almost exactly the same way Jessie got a partial ACL tear - she caught her leg while climbing down a steep path. She screamed when it happened, but then acted fine. The partial tear progressed to a full tear because I didn’t know anything was wrong and didn’t do anything :(

The vet can’t see Kip until the 21st! Argh!!!! That means I’m going to do my best to keep him quiet for a week. No agility, no hikes, no helping out with farm chores.. I just want to be super careful in case he does have an injury.

Hanne, KarenCurtis, Ann and 2 others like this.
  2. TheDailyPainter

TheDailyPainter Forums Enthusiast

Sep 19, 2019
    Well...maybe it did happen, but maybe it didn't. As a fellow worrier, I completely understand. One piece of sage advice I have heard that helps me through anxious moments..."just because something happened once doesn't mean it will happen again." Keep an eye on him, but also keep hope and faith.

Hanne, RikyR, ghggp and 3 others like this.
  3. Sharon7

Sharon7 Moderator

Oct 31, 2009
    Elei, once you've had a bad experience like that of course you are more sensitized. I know from experience right now keeping a young dog quiet is really hard, but probably best until you know for sure. Does your touching his knee area bother him? Really hoping it will turn out to be nothing.

Ann, ghggp, Piper's mom and 1 other person like this.
  4. Elei

Elei Premium Member

Jul 10, 2019
    No. I gently lifted each hind leg and felt it all over and he didn’t react at all.

Yes, I know that’s true. I just want to make sure he’s ok so I’m being extra cautious. Especially since he’s such an active dog

5. Piper's mom

Piper's mom Moderator

Jun 26, 2015
    Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada
    I can imagine how frightening that must've been but I agree that while he may have hurt himself it doesn't necessarily mean it's the same. I would definitely check the hock area if he yelps again (it was very off and on again with Finnie) and very carefully check for swelling in the hock area. Not many blood vessels in that area so it doesn't actually swell much, also feel for any heat. Doing this was what helped to diagnose Finnie...swelling was really very slight, that plus the X-ray of both hocks is what showed the swelling.
    Give him some rest and if he seems to be ok try not to worry too much. Easier said than done I know...

Hanne, Ann, Elei and 2 others like this.
  6. ghggp

ghggp Moderator

Aug 28, 2011
    Grosse Pointe, Michigan
    Wow, that would have frightened me also! Like Sharon mentioned, we are super sensitive to previous experiences that have turned out badly!
    I agree keeping him restricted until the vet can see him will most certainly ease your mind. I am a horrible worry wart myself so I completely understand wanting to err on the side of caution!
    Please let us know how he is and what the vet says once he has seen him! Good luck

Ann, Piper's mom, Elei and 1 other person like this.
  7. Elei

Elei Premium Member

Jul 10, 2019
    I felt both hocks and I can’t feel any difference. He also still sits square. No signs of discomfort. I’m sure hoping it was mainly a yelp of surprise. He can be a bit of a drama queen when he gets startled

From past experience I know that the longer he goes without exercise and play the more neurotic he will get. We should be able to last a week. I just wish the vet could see him now so I could stop worrying!!

Sharon7 and Piper's mom like this.
  8. Piper's mom

Piper's mom Moderator

Jun 26, 2015
    Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada
    Chances are the vet would go over him and do exactly what you did.
    Your doing everything right for Kip.
    See how he's doing after 1 day crated and if he's ok increase his exercise accordingly. If on Day 2 still no problems increase again.
    It could be that he was startled or even pulled something. If it was his hock you'd know it, stairs and jumping would make him yelp.

Sharon7 and Elei like this.
  9. trini

trini Premium Member

Nov 13, 2013
    Sending good thoughts for Kip that hopefully this was a startled yip and his leg is fine. But a few days of limited activity...maybe walks on lead so no running/jumping...is a good idea just to be on the safe side. Trini

ghggp, Elei and Sharon7 like this.
  10. Elei

Elei Premium Member

Jul 10, 2019
    Kip is still fine today. We went on a leash walk to prevent his usual craziness and he was actually pretty good about just walking. I guess he’s learning finally! He showed no signs of discomfort during or after the walk. I feel a bit like I’m overreacting today, but I still believe it’s just not worth the risk, so I’ll stick to the plan and go to the vet next week.

Jessie’s injury was much more significant. She was hiking down a steep slope, caught her leg in a vine and ended up hanging from that leg. It was horrible. She was squealing in pain while I worked to get her free. I got her free pretty quick but it felt like a long time. The only sign that she was injured was when we got back to the car she cried and licked her leg. But she didn’t limp so I stupidly thought she was ok. In the following weeks I noticed she started having a bit of difficulty getting up, but it took a long time to progress to a limp.