Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest, Welcome to the new version of Sheltieforums.com. If you have any questions regarding the new software, please post in the following section: Forum Upgrade

About dogs aging...

Discussion in 'General Dog Chat' started by ghggp, Jun 29, 2020 at 7:48 AM.

Tags:
  1. ghggp

ghggp Moderator

Aug 28, 2011
    Grosse Pointe, Michigan
    Found this on LinkedIn and had to share...

There's nothing quite like the bond between a dog and its owner, and we just wish our furry friends could live as long as we do.

It's never easy realizing that your pooch is getting older and that one day they might not be around to keep you company anymore.

The heart-wrenching post recently resurfaced and has been shared by dog lovers who found the thought of their pets aging, almost too much to cope with.

It reads: "No one tells you how quickly dogs. How one day you wake up and suddenly their face is all white, how their eyes start to seem milkier than before, how you have to call their name a few more times than you used to.

"People tell you not to blink when you have children, but what about the dog who was with you before your children were even thought of? The dog who was by your side before you found the love of your life, the dog who jumped from apartment to apartment in your early 20’s. No one tells you to cherish every moment you have with them…

"Cherish the dog. The one who has been there through every breakup and every dumb fight with your best friend. That dog who slept in the bed with you when you were lonely and made you feel safe when you left home.

"Cherish him, because one day you’ll take him on a walk, and he’ll start to get tired before you and you’ll realize just how many years he’s been walking by your side."

"Dogs don’t get nearly as much time on this earth as they deserve. It makes every moment infinitely more important."

2. Caro

Caro Moderator

Jan 14, 2009
    Canberra, Australia
    Sorry, having a sad day so when I saw the words 'heart-wrenching' I couldn't read any more.

Darren, Ann, ghggp and 1 other person like this.
  3. ghggp

ghggp Moderator

Aug 28, 2011
    Grosse Pointe, Michigan
    I totally understand, Caro.
    I am sorry you are having a sad day! When I Saw Sheltie Nation homepage today it warmed my heart!

The article is basically telling you to cherish every moment with your beloved dog.
    Virtual hugs to you. :hugs

RikyR, Darren, Sharon7 and 1 other person like this.
  4. Sharon7

Sharon7 Moderator

Oct 31, 2009
    Southern California
    Wise words. Stop and cherish the now for even a few breaths!

ghggp, RikyR and Darren like this.
  5. Darren

Darren Premium Member

Nov 1, 2019
    That post couldn't be more right. The years pass far to quickly and you never quite remember when their faces got white or the walks got shorter, it just as if it suddenly happened. I'm doing my best to make sure every moment counts with little Monty.

ghggp, Sharon7, RikyR and 2 others like this.
  6. Cindy

Cindy Premium Member

May 19, 2008
    San Francisco Bay Area, CA
    I wish I had taken more trips with Gavin....all he ever wanted was to be with me wherever we were.
    And we didn't go to the beach much before he was 6-7. He loves it so much I wish I had started earlier even if I would have had to leash him.

whenenver he gets spunky on me I cherish it all the more for its rarity.

Darren, ghggp, Sharon7 and 2 others like this.
  7. Hanne

Hanne Premium Member

Nov 13, 2014
    Danmark
    Cindy I understand you so well, but fortunately
    our little friends not aware of it :wink2:

The most important thing to me is that - I hope
    I have treated Minnie well,
    given her the conditions for an happy active life
    supported her when she needed it
    and most importantly - not exceeded her limits :hugs

Getting really so sad that some may have the conscience
    to raise this little sensitive breed with bad methods instead of praise :cry:

Darren, ghggp, Sharon7 and 1 other person like this.
  8. Margi

Margi Forums Enthusiast

Nov 2, 2012
    Corona, AZ
    What a beautiful post.
    I sorta do an affirmation thing at least once a day like Aibileen in The Help: You is good. You is sweet. You is kind...then I kiss their noses all up. I think it drives them crazy (pretty sure I've seen Fil roll his eyes) but I just hope they hear me :)

Darren, Sharon7 and ghggp like this.
  9. ghggp

ghggp Moderator

Aug 28, 2011
    Grosse Pointe, Michigan
    No dog could be loved or cared for better than you have provided Gavin! He knows it too! Never doubt yourself... one only has to review your posts to know the total dedication you have to him!
    Virtual hugs to you both.
    Yes, we enjoy those beach strolls too! To see him enjoying himself fills your heart with joy!

Darren, Hanne and Sharon7 like this.
  10. ghggp

ghggp Moderator

Aug 28, 2011
    Grosse Pointe, Michigan
    How wonderful!❤️❤️❤️❤️
    Just love that affirmation too!

Darren, Margi and Sharon7 like this.