Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest, Welcome to the new version of Sheltieforums.com. If you have any questions regarding the new software, please post in the following section: Forum Upgrade

Advice for a Sheltie at home while working

Discussion in 'Considering a Sheltie?' started by Decibel123, Apr 5, 2018.

1. Decibel123

Decibel123 Forums Novice

Oct 4, 2017
    my Sheltie is 9 months old, and we had him since he was 8 weeks. I am retired so I have been with him everyday. I have accepted a new job so the dog will be by himself during the day.
    Any advice on how to keep in busy.
    What do most couple that both work every day do with their dogs while they are gone to work
    How long will he be able to hold it
    Thanks

2. corbinam

corbinam Moderator

Oct 14, 2008
    Ohio
    Congratulations on a new job! Most people say that the rule for puppies is the number of months old they are + 1 -- so in your case your boy could hold it for 10 hours. Obviously that isn't ideal, but possible.

If your pup is used to you being home all day long, it might be a good idea to get him used to you being gone. Start small (if you haven't already) and just run a few errands for a couple hours. Then, extend it to 4-6, see how he does! It might give you some peace of mind if you're able to practice these longer absences. Another good idea is a long walk or play session before you go to work so that he easily settles in when you leave.

When I was working full time we had someone come in and let the puppy out at lunchtime when he was young. As he got older, we phased that out and he was fine the 8-10 hours we were gone. Just be prepared for an active busy puppy when you come home!

3. Piper's mom

Piper's mom Premium Member

Jun 26, 2015
    Winnipeg Mb
    I read an interesting article awhile back on how to tire your pup out without walking miles and miles. Take him for a walk and after say a block have him do 5 sit to down then walk further and do stand to down etc. By walking and breaking it up with obedience exercises you can mentally exhaust him. I do competitive obedience with Piper (and a 2-3 mile walk per day) and when I leave for work he heads upstairs for his nap lol.

4. Chris

Chris Premium Member

Feb 25, 2008
    Northern Virginia
    We had a period when our then three Shelties were alone while we worked. It worked out fine, but it wasn't for very long -- my DH retired, and they had company every day. I often took Layla in with me to work. If you can do that, it's ideal!!

5. take4roll10

take4roll10 Moderator

Aug 31, 2009
    New York
    Congratulations on your new job! I take my dog on a long walk before I leave for work. I also have a dogwalker who takes my dog on another walk in the middle of the work day. My dog is older now, so when I get home, she doesn't ask for much, just food and watch TV. When she was younger, I would do some training around the house, puzzle or food dispensing toys. Something to stimulate her mind.

8 hours is usually the limit for leaving a dog alone without a bathroom break. But at 9 mons, your dog might still need to go more frequently than that.

Good luck!