Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest, Welcome to the new version of Sheltieforums.com. If you have any questions regarding the new software, please post in the following section: Forum Upgrade

Advice on bringing a second sheltie into the home?

Discussion in 'Considering a Sheltie?' started by Katie Kay, Jan 30, 2019.

1. Katie Kay

Katie Kay Forums Regular

Jun 30, 2016
    Hi fellow sheltie lovers,

It has been a while since I've posted on here, but hello to all! Our sweet Charlie is turning three years old on February 22nd. Charlie is a sweet, loving boy and he loves to play ball, swim, hike and cuddle. My husband and I are considering another sheltie. Our breeder just had a litter, and we're going to see a sweet little girl this Saturday.

The next couple of months I will have a lot of free time- so I'm thinking that would be the perfect opportunity for training the puppy and time for adjustment for Charlie, and well... all of us! My husband is completely on board too!

Talk to me, friends. How did bringing another puppy into the household work for y'all? Like I mentioned, Charlie is a sweet boy. He gets along with other dogs well. However, sometimes he doesn't take to puppies very well- BUT, he is very smart, and I just know that if we brought a puppy into the house he would catch on quick that the puppy was there to stay...

I hope to hear from you all!

Talk soon,
    Katie :)

KarenCurtis and Piper's mom like this.
  2. Caro

Caro Moderator

Jan 14, 2009
    Canberra, Australia
    I don't think you'll have any problems. The age is right and a girl will be no threat (she'll be the boss). Just make sure your puppy has one-on-one time with you so she doesn't just bond to Charlie.

Deska hated Tully when I got her, he was so jealous. But he was hand reared. And you know what, he got over it, once Tully could keep up on walks he wasn't so jealous. Then it was worse - they were like two naughty peas in a pod, egging each other on into heights of naughtiness.

I'm trying to decide if I should inflict a puppy on Tully now she's alone.

3. Calliesmom

Calliesmom Moderator

Mar 29, 2008
    near Mobile, AL
    I brought Cranberry puppy home to 2 adult dogs- one liked him and the other didn't. when it got down to him (Still a puppy) and the girl who had enough of puppies, I brought number 3 sheltie home and that solved all those problems. after losing the older girl, I brought another puppy home and then later that year, number 4. everyone adjusted well and now that the puppy is 5 years old, they all still play and have a great time.

KarenCurtis, ghggp and Piper's mom like this.
  4. Piper's mom

Piper's mom Forums Enthusiast

Jun 26, 2015
    Winnipeg Mb
    I brought Finnie home when Piper was just under 3 and while I got the stink eye from Piper quite a bit those initial few weeks (and still do if I pet Finnie lol) he's adjusted incredibly well. They are absolutely best buds who play together and even sleep together (I sometimes have to make Finnie move, he will practically sleep on top of Piper!).
    So long as you give your boy lots of love and attention when you get your puppy he will adjust very well. My boys handled the transition really well...the only thing I didn't allow was Piper to run too much with Finnie in the yard. He was so much faster and would play too rough and Finnie was so small I worried he'd get hurt. Fortunately Piper listened really well and my older boy Riley really didn't care to run and play too much like they did.

KarenCurtis, ghggp and Calliesmom like this.
  5. trini

trini Premium Member

Nov 13, 2013
    upstate ny
    Congratulations on your soon to be new little lass. :) Have you picked a name yet?

When bringing in a new dog, I have always introduced everyone outside first rather than bringing the new one immediately into the house. Let Charlie have a chance to sniff her and introduce himself to her in doggie language. Tell him what a great boy he is and praise any gentle interaction between him and the pup. Inside, it helps to initially put the newbie into a play pen area so Charlie doesn't see her as taking over his house...and not letting her have full run of the house also helps big time in housebreaking. One of those folding pens that can easily be moved from room to room is great...it allows your little gal to always be with you while also giving Charlie plenty of time to adjust to having her in his life without being pestered non-stop by puppy antics. Charlie sounds like a sweetheart and as long as you make sure he still gets plenty of special one on one time with you, without his baby sis, I seriously doubt you will have any issues and in the long run it sounds like Charlie will love having a permanent companion.

Trini

KarenCurtis, ghggp and Hanne like this.
  6. Sharon7

Sharon7 Premium Member

Oct 31, 2009
    Southern California
    Shelties absolutely do well in multiples. We got 10 week old Asta when our Skye was 13, and it was the best thing ever. All my other dogs have joined in as young adults, depending on personality there was an adjustment period ( all were girls except our latest one, Eli). we've had up to 3 at a time and as long as each one gets individual attention, there's no problem. Charlie will probably love having a sister. Please post pics if you get a puppy!

KarenCurtis and ghggp like this.
  7. Chris

Chris Premium Member

Feb 25, 2008
    Northern Virginia
    We're bringing two Sheltie guests who'll be with us for 2-3 months while their hooman is having a bone marrow transplant. We're certain they'll settle right in. I suspect the only grumbles with be over who gets to sleep on the bed. I'm pretty happy we have a king size! :lol:

KarenCurtis, Sharon7 and ghggp like this.
  8. ghggp

ghggp Moderator

Aug 28, 2011
    Grosse Pointe, Michigan
    Great feedback from everyone! Yes, indeed, they are like potato chips... you can't have just one!
    When I got my little one this year I got a pen to keep him safe... as you can see my three year old wanted to be with the puppy! They are best buds!
    My other older sheltie was not too fond of the little one at first. If the puppy would get obnoxious, he would just flash his pearly white whites and the puppy backed off!
    Everyone gets along now...

Congrats and will be looking forward to pictures soon!

2018-06-28_13-27-10.jpg

KarenCurtis and Sharon7 like this.
  9. SheepOfBlue

SheepOfBlue Premium Member

Oct 15, 2009
    Huntsville,Al
    Spitfire has always disliked puppies but after Sca died he was a lost soul. Angus was HIS puppy and approved after a short time. They are best buddies now and then some. Spitfire does get jealous on occasion but nothing bad (and he is king of the house)

10. Katie Kay

Katie Kay Forums Regular

Jun 30, 2016
    Wow wow wow! Hi everyone!

Thank you so much for all of the feedback, I've been reading the responses over & over. I knew I could count on you all.

We're going to see the little girl tomorrow, we're so excited...

Is it weird that I'm worried about Charlie & I's relationship changing? Did any of y'all feel that way when you brought your second into the house? Charlie is a total mama's boy! All these crazy thoughts are running through my head: "will he still want to play ball all the time? will he still cuddle with me? will he still want to swim?" Am I crazy?!

KarenCurtis likes this.