Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest, Welcome to the new version of Sheltieforums.com. If you have any questions regarding the new software, please post in the following section: Forum Upgrade

Advice on bringing a second sheltie into the home?

Discussion in 'Considering a Sheltie?' started by Katie Kay, Jan 30, 2019.

1. Katie Kay

Katie Kay Forums Regular

Jun 30, 2016
    I would love to add a photo of Charlie, but I can't figure out how to add photos on here!

2. Caro

Caro Moderator

Jan 14, 2009
    Canberra, Australia
    You need to be a premium member to include photos in your posts and avatar. The premium memberships help keep the site going.

The other option is to save your photo to a photo sharing site and then paste the link into a post and people can follow the link.

KarenCurtis likes this.
  3. ghggp

ghggp Moderator

Aug 28, 2011
    Grosse Pointe, Michigan
    No, you are not crazy! Believe me, after having 10 Shelties over my lifetime, some adopted and some purchased, I had the very same concern!

None of my Shelties had a mean streak or jealous bone in their body! I believe it is in their DNA to be tolerant of other creatures... other dogs or cats!

Even the Shelties I have owned that were my special heart dogs that I was concerned over my relationship changing never materialized!

Ever since I brought my new puppy home my big boy Baron was not found of him but tolerated him. Yesterday they began playing tug of war! It was the first time they ever engaged in play!

Please don’t worry! You might be surprised that it love at first sight!

KarenCurtis likes this.
  4. KarenCurtis

KarenCurtis Premium Member

Jan 30, 2010
    Massachusetts
    Adorable!!!

5. Sharon7

Sharon7 Premium Member

Oct 31, 2009
    Southern California
    Nope you're not crazy. We had these exact same worries which is why we waited until Skye was 13 (!!) before taking the plunge with the puppy. I would say that as long as you make the effort to have one-on-one time with Charlie, away from the puppy completely, you should be fine. Sounds like you have a partner who can help with that. I don't think it changed our relationship with Skye. As we added future dogs down the years, some things changed - Faith had a bit of jealousy and "middle child" syndrome for a while when we brought Eli home but now they are best buddies.

I just remember the first few days of puppy Asta, Skye and our senior kitty Katie collapsed on our bed in the evening, exhausted and a bit frazzled because life was not so quiet anymore! But that only lasted a few days and then all was well.

KarenCurtis and Katie Kay like this.
  6. Katie Kay

Katie Kay Forums Regular

Jun 30, 2016
    Hi friends,

Thank you all so much for your thoughtful responses- y'all have really helped! We went to go see the little girl today, she is just PRECIOUS! We put down the deposit and will be taking her home on 2/23 when she is 8 weeks old. I think we got Charlie when he was 7 weeks old, but the breeder said 8 weeks so that she can get all of her shots and checked out by the vet.

Here's a photo of our sweet sweet Charlie:

http://i67.tinypic.com/ri5jsw.jpg

Here's the baby girl! HOW ADORABLE?! We think we're going to name her Molly :D

http://i66.tinypic.com/s1nj7s.jpg

KarenCurtis likes this.
  7. Roberta

Roberta Premium Member

Apr 26, 2013
    Chicago area
    New puppies are so exciting!!! I got my first 2 shelties from the same breeder at the same time when they were 8 -10 weeks old, so they were inseparable. I worried that if something happened to one the other would die of heartbreak. So I got another puppy when the 1st two were about 3 years old. They both accepted the new puppy with no problems. One was friendlier and more playful than the other, but after a very short time everyone bonded nicely - never any problems or aggression.

One of my older dogs passed away about 2 years ago leaving me with only 2 Shelties - so I decided to get another. At the time my oldest was about 12 and the other about 9 years old. I was really worried about how the older dogs would accept the puppy. The 9 year old acted like we bought him a new wind-up-toy. He just loves her and they play together all the time. The older one was more reserved at first but never aggressive. They have all bonded and are one happy family.

Needless to say, they are all spoiled. They are all very affectionate to their human family - and this never changed even with new additions. Shelties are such sweet dogs. The Village were I live only allows 3 dogs per household. If they didn't have that limit I would definitely get a 4th.

Please post pictures!!

KarenCurtis and Katie Kay like this.
  8. Sharon7

Sharon7 Premium Member

Oct 31, 2009
    Southern California
    I almost fell off my chair from the cuteness overload of the puppy photo..... oh those pink paw pads do me in every time. She is absolutely precious. And Charlie is a very handsome guy! He looks like he's on the larger side. I predict they will be besties, even if it takes a little time at first.

KarenCurtis likes this.
  9. Katie Kay

Katie Kay Forums Regular

Jun 30, 2016
    Hi Sharon, he is a big big boy! Biggest, fattest one of his litter, and we love him that way :) I don't think Molly will be as big, although we're hoping that she is on the bigger side too!

We're counting down the days over here!

KarenCurtis and Sharon7 like this.
  10. KarenCurtis

KarenCurtis Premium Member

Jan 30, 2010
    Massachusetts
    ADORABLE!!