Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest, Welcome to the new version of Sheltieforums.com. If you have any questions regarding the new software, please post in the following section: Forum Upgrade

Advice on grooming pants?

Discussion in 'Grooming' started by Flower, Dec 8, 2017.

1. Flower

Flower Forums Regular

Feb 27, 2016
    Illinois
    My Chai has a shaggy sparse rear end. My sister was a groomer a long time ago, she said his rear should be more rounded. He is 2 years old today, so he has his full coat. He just isn't a bushy sheltie. His neck fur is beautiful and full, I trim his feet and brush him almost daily. But the hair on his rear, around his tail, going down his back legs look shaggy.

I trimmed the hair cutting up and down, not across, and made it look more rounded. The sheltie pictures I see, do not look trimmed, but just more full than my dog. Will keeping it trimmed make it grow out more full, it isn't cut short.. I just shaped it. Am I supposed to do that? or I am so used to the shaggy look in the back , that rounded looks odd to me? Any advice.....please help.

2. Piper's mom

Piper's mom Forums Enthusiast

Jun 26, 2015
    Winnipeg Mb
    He may not have his full adult coat yet, often not until they're around 3. I don't trim Pipers but he's got a very full coat, but he's just about got his adult coat at almost 3.

3. Flower

Flower Forums Regular

Feb 27, 2016
    Illinois
    Thank you ... LOL...all this wait for 2 years old to finally see his full coat, and now you tell me I have another year to go. Mostly I'm just wondering if we are supposed to trim it to look more round or leave it looking shaggy on the bottom. If it's naturally full and round, I understand.... Chai has strings of hair just drooping down from the full rump bush and it grows straight across, making his back end look square and shaggy. I tried looking at videos of trimming, they show hocks, feet and the poop shoot, but nothing on the pants part. The grooming lady doesn't have any real experience with shelties, they are kind of rare around here where I live. I can trim his nails and paws, wash and brush him myself. She doesn't know any more than I do on the subject.

When I trimmed the pants to leave it looking round, it looks short and not quit right... he doesn't have a poof that goes down to the back elbow, like the pictures I see. His fur ends about 3 inches higher than that back elbow, then turns to the shaggy strings straight across. I wish I could post pictures... but I just can't seem to get it to load.

Thank you for your help.

Piper's mom likes this.
  4. Hanne

Hanne Forums Enthusiast

Nov 13, 2014
    Danmark
    Minnie looked quite strange when she was 2 - now she's 3 so her coat has become a powerful sheltie coat.

5. SheepOfBlue

SheepOfBlue Forums Sage

Oct 15, 2009
    Huntsville,Al
    Sca had an unusual coat and very little sheltie butt. Spitfire is almost comical as he shakes it while walking straight :ROFLMAO:

Margi likes this.
  6. Margi

Margi Forums Enthusiast

Nov 2, 2012
    Corona, AZ
    Koko and Fillion's line doesn't come into full coat sometimes till after 3 according to breeder. I was so worried Fillion would never have a full coat. HA! Now I wish longingly for the silky coated days LOL

7. Piper's mom

Piper's mom Forums Enthusiast

Jun 26, 2015
    Winnipeg Mb
    It can be frustrating to wait for their full coat, this past summer Piper looked like he had a really bad dye job as I waited for his coat to get fuller but it's definitely worth the wait. Like Margi I also miss the days when there was less to brush (although Piper never did blow his coat so his days were like 2 years ago lol).