Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest, Welcome to the new version of Sheltieforums.com. If you have any questions regarding the new software, please post in the following section: Forum Upgrade

Advice on re-homing a dog (not a Sheltie)

Discussion in 'General Dog Chat' started by Jaynie, Jul 5, 2013.

1. Jaynie

Jaynie Forums Enthusiast

Mar 23, 2011
    Dallas, Georgia
    I haven't been on here for a few weeks due to surgery, family matters, and a complete and total upheaval of my house. I have had some fairly serious health matters, and my doctor and husband have decided I must re-home one of my dogs.

I've never had to do this before. I don't want to just give her to some stranger. She's a small doxie/JRT mix - very high energy, but just as happy to snuggle on the sofa and watch tv. She's crate trained, house trained, and has a very low-maintenance coat. Gracie is pretty aggressive at seeking out what she wants - be it food, attention, or anything else. She's also a a whiny-butt. She's friendly with older children and other dogs (of similar size). She weighs between 10 and 15 pounds.

She came from our local humane society, which is having problems right now and is overflowing full. I don't want to take her back there, as I want to be sure she's going to just the right home.

I don't want to just put an ad on craigslist. Nor do I want her to go back to the stress of a shelter.

The main reason she has to be re-homed is because she wrapped her lead around my legs earlier this week, and I tripped and fell. I honestly look like I've been in a bar brawl, as she did this not once, but three times within a matter of days.

As some of you may already know, I am disabled due to a fall down some stairs some years ago. I also have rheumatoid arthritis, which is rapidly worsening, and I have difficulty walking because I can't feel my feet or lower legs most of the time. I have an inherited form of anemia called Thallassemia.

When I adopted Gracie, I had no problems taking care of my dogs. Now, though, my husband and doctor are kind of forcing me to do this. My Sheltie, Bela, is a less active dog, and easier to handle, plus being my heart dog.

I need to be talked through this traumatic experience. Help!!!!

2. dmeyer123

dmeyer123 Forums Enthusiast

Jul 18, 2011
    Eastvale, CA
    You are living my worst nightmare...who would look after my dogs if I couldn't. I'm so sorry you are going thru this.

I guess if there's no one you know who would take your little Gracie, I would look for a JRT rescue and see if they could help. Your vet might be willing to post an ad for you. I've seen postings at my vet's about people in similar situations. Pet Smart might have a board also. Sorry I don't have any great suggestions. Good luck with this and take care!

Would you be able to keep her if you had someone else to walk her. Maybe your church could help you find a volunteer?

3. dblock

dblock Forums Enthusiast

Mar 28, 2011
    philadelphia
    I feel badly for you for having to go thru this. That being said, I know where I live in Philadelphia, there is one news lady affectionately known as "the pet lady, who works with local animal shelters and such. I know you don't live near here, but, is there someone local who acts like that who could act of Liaison of sorts till you could vet out someone who would be appropriate to take care of your dogpermantly

4. celloyogi

celloyogi Forums Enthusiast

Mar 11, 2012
    southeast MI
    No matter who you home Gracie with, I would highly suggest drafting and signing some sort of agreement wherein both parties agree that should the new home be unable to keep Gracie for any reason, they return her directly to you only (not a shelter, rescue, etc). This would give me piece of mind if it were my pup, because I would know where she was and who she was with, plus any potential new owner unwilling to sign the document would be an easy "no" for me. Even when Gracie is not with you, she will still be a part of you.

5. Jess041

Jess041 Forums Enthusiast

Feb 2, 2012
    Houston, Texas
    Can you possibly surrender her to a rescue? One that is NOT a shelter? I always thought that rescues are more.. strict... about screening potential adopters. But I've never been involved with a rescue so I honestly don't know for sure. I have family in Atlanta, but I don't know if she would be interested or available to adopt Gracie. She just lost her husband in the last year, so I don't really know. It's my Aunt's mother in law, so I'll mention something to my Aunt. I am so sorry you are going through this. It's my absolute worst fear.

List of rescues and shelters near your area-
    http://www.petfinder.com/awo/index.cgi?location=Dallas,+GA&keyword=