Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest, Welcome to the new version of Sheltieforums.com. If you have any questions regarding the new software, please post in the following section: Forum Upgrade

Advice on redoing ear glue.

Discussion in 'Grooming' started by GlennR, Mar 3, 2019.

1. GlennR

GlennR Forums Enthusiast

Jan 11, 2019
    Ontario, Canada
    So, the glue came out of both ears over a week ago. So far, there's no indication that they are going to stand up and have stayed tipped over. Is it possible that she's naturally tipped?

If not, when should I expect that they'll stand up again? She's nineteen weeks old. I was going to reglue at the first indication that they were straightening up.

2. Piper's mom

Piper's mom Forums Enthusiast

Jun 26, 2015
    Winnipeg Mb
    I'd suggest that you not wait....they'll go up and the longer they're up the greater the risk they'll stay up. My experience with Shelties is more limited than others but while both of mine had periods where they stayed down (especially when younger) they did go up.

corbinam likes this.
  3. Ann

Ann Moderator

Feb 25, 2008
    Western Connecticut
    Did you take the glue out, or is there residue there that's weighing the tips down? We always recommend keeping them in until the puppy is completely through teething...9 months to a year old. Naturally tipped Shelties are, unfortunately, at this point very rare. If it were me, I'd reglue to be safe. You're fine leaving the ears out for a day or two or three if they aren't going up but it's almost inevitable that they will go up if they stay out.

4. GlennR

GlennR Forums Enthusiast

Jan 11, 2019
    Ontario, Canada
    All the glue is gone and they have been down for eight days now. None the less, i will take the advice provided here and glue them again. I will wait until I get spousal support tonight. Two people can almost outsmart a Sheltie.

5. Ann

Ann Moderator

Feb 25, 2008
    Western Connecticut
    :yuckyuck:yuckyuck:yuckyuck

Calliesmom and KarenCurtis like this.
  6. Sunflower77

Sunflower77 Forums Regular

Feb 6, 2019
    If naturally tipped Shelties are very rare, why would tipped ears be a breed standard? My intuition is erect ears are more functional because they can hear better. Animals in the wild (wolves, foxes, tigers, cheetahs) all have erect ears.

JacqueZ likes this.
  7. GlennR

GlennR Forums Enthusiast

Jan 11, 2019
    Ontario, Canada
    Well, for better or worse, Willow's ears are reglued. They hadn't come up in a week and a half so perhaps she's a natural and gluing isn't really needed. The only way to tell would be to keep leaving her ears unglued to see if they rose up again but gluing wasn't that difficult so why wonder. :)

Ann likes this.
  8. corbinam

corbinam Moderator

Oct 14, 2008
    Ohio
    Back in the early days of the sheltie, tipped ears were the norm. However, as breeders bred for other desirable traits, tipped ears just weren't high on the list because it was something that could "easily" be fixed. They placed their genetic emphasis on other things and thus now we have less dogs with naturally tipped ears.

And, the reason that tipped ears were desirable is on the windy Shetland Isles, tipped ears kept dirt out of them, but still allowed the sound to enter and rebound inside the ear so they could hear better.

SRW and KarenCurtis like this.