Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest, Welcome to the new version of Sheltieforums.com. If you have any questions regarding the new software, please post in the following section: Forum Upgrade

Advise needed on getting a good brush/comb for my new sheltie

Discussion in 'Grooming' started by Deanna McIntosh, Dec 30, 2018.

1. Deanna McIntosh

Deanna McIntosh Forums Novice

Dec 27, 2018
    I will be getting my sheltie puppy January and I wanna be prepared for his shedding and hair. I was wondering what would the best brush/comb would be so I can be prepared for when he gets here. If I could get some advise that would be amazing, this is my first long haired dog since I lost my chow chow years ago.

2. Ann

Ann Moderator

Feb 25, 2008
    Western Connecticut
    Welcome to the Forum, Deanna and your new Sheltie puppy! The two grooming tools you'll want to start out are a pin brush and a greyhound comb. A slicker brush is also good and can be used gently on puppies. You can look for these in a pet store, but the best place to find them is online to get good quality grooming tools that will last.

You can find them at Cherrybrook or Dog.com. There are pin brushes and slickers on both these sites. You can also find some on Amazon, but the best choices will be on Cherrybrook. Hope this helps and do share pictures when your puppy arrives!

corbinam likes this.
  3. SheepOfBlue

SheepOfBlue Premium Member

Oct 15, 2009
    Huntsville,Al
    Not cheap but the Chris Christensen Mark Slicker brush in X-Tra Small is Awesome for behind the ears where you will have to keep brushed to avoid mattes.

Ann likes this.
  4. Chris

Chris Premium Member

Feb 25, 2008
    Northern Virginia
    I got the Chris Christensen T brush 13 years ago. I have four Shelties, and it's been perfect! I also have a really nice stainless steel comb.

KarenCurtis and ghggp like this.
  5. ghggp

ghggp Moderator

Aug 28, 2011
    Grosse Pointe, Michigan
    Just order it!

KarenCurtis likes this.
  6. Piper's mom

Piper's mom Forums Enthusiast

Jun 26, 2015
    Winnipeg Mb
    I have a CC pin brush (1" pins) and it's great. I had a longer one but didn't find it worked as well.
    If your in Canada you can order dog stuff from Tybrushe (they carry all sorts of very good quality products).

KarenCurtis likes this.
  7. Deanna McIntosh

Dec 27, 2018
    Thank you for the help everyone I just want to try to be the best dog mom possible for my little man.

8. Cindy

Cindy Premium Member

Just by being here you are doing great!

KarenCurtis likes this.
  9. Deanna McIntosh

Dec 27, 2018
    Thank you I appreciate that I've been so nervous trying to make sure I've got everything I need for when he comes home

KarenCurtis likes this.
  10. KarenCurtis

KarenCurtis Forums Enthusiast

Jan 30, 2010
    Massachusetts
    You will be fine, this place is full of wonderful support!