Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest, Welcome to the new version of Sheltieforums.com. If you have any questions regarding the new software, please post in the following section: Forum Upgrade

Aggressive puppy

Discussion in 'Behavior' started by simba14, Dec 11, 2017.

1. simba14

simba14 Forums Regular

Jan 15, 2017
    I am starting to have awful trouble with my 6 months old puppy. She is a rescue who I have had since 9 weeks old and she has started to become very aggressive towards my other dogs. She will lift her lip at them if they sniff her or walk to close and she will lunge if they get up on the chair or bed beside her. I feel like at my wits end now and have gotten to the stage where I just don't love her anymore. She used to get on fine with them but was always a little bit nervous as Simba my older sheltie would give out to her sometimes. I've never had an issue like this with a puppy and would appreciate any thoughts or advice. Thank you!

2. danisgoat

danisgoat Moderator

Jul 23, 2009
    NJ
    I am so sorry that you are having so much trouble with your pup. Honestly, it is probably more of a fear reaction than aggression. When your pup lifts her lips, how do you react? I would lighten up the mood when she is in a position where she feels the need to lift her lips. I feel bad because she is probably feeding off your negative feelings towards her and acting out on that.

Right now your puppy is going through adolescence and like teenagers, your puppy is going through a lot of the same changes. I would make sure to remove her from the situations where she is showing the aggression, such as having her sleep in her crate with the door shut instead of on the bed or chair. If she does it when another dog walks by, immediately redirect the behavior to something fun like go for a walk, sit for a treat or something else to redirect the behavior. Never use aggression to combat aggression (ie. yelling or punishing) as this will only make the situation worse.

3. Cara Sandler

Cara Sandler Forums Enthusiast

Jul 11, 2015
    Florida
    I can tell you from experience - PLEASE bring in a professional, positive only trainer now. Even if you just do one consult - it will save you a LOT of trouble in the future. My two dogs went through a stage that they literally couldn't even look at each other through a baby gate without a fight breaking out. Now they are best of friends - but I truly needed professional advice to figure out exactly where the problem was starting - dogs can be very subtle with initial warnings and it may be that you're missing the starting signs of the argument - before even the lip lift happens.

4. Hanne

Hanne Forums Enthusiast

Nov 13, 2014
    Danmark
    So sorry to read about your trouble -I'm sure you will receive more good answers - than already :yes:

- that she lifts her lip shows she has a nice dog language, so be happy about it.

-she not show aggression - she asks them to keep distance from her

Closing her in a cage will only make the problem worse.

Show her that you control the situation - you must not be negative - show her the way by giving her confidence.

Remember, she probably did not get the best start on a puppy's life

5. Calliesmom

Calliesmom Moderator

Mar 29, 2008
    near Mobile, AL
    is she still intact?
    females just coming into season can have issues with boys until they hit the stage where they are happy to see the boys.....

Hanne likes this.
  6. danisgoat

danisgoat Moderator

Jul 23, 2009
    NJ
    Sorry...I was referring to putting her in her crate, not some random cage. Her safe spot where she can feel comfortable. Giving them their own space never makes the problem worse, it only helps.