Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest, Welcome to the new version of Sheltieforums.com. If you have any questions regarding the new software, please post in the following section: Forum Upgrade

Agility 2019

Discussion in 'Agility' started by Simba13, Oct 11, 2019.

1. Simba13

Simba13 Forums Enthusiast

Jun 25, 2014
    Dublin
    Our agility season has come to and end now for the winter with no more shows until st Patrick’s Day in March! And what a year it has been.

We compete in ireland under a couple of organisations the ikc(Irish kennel club) and iadsa (Irish agility and dog sports association) and also in Northern Ireland under the U.K. kennel club. Simba and Shoka started this season of at Ikc and kc grade 5 and Shoka was iadsa grade 5 and simba iadsa grade 3!

Over the last 6 months Shoka got the 4 wins needed for kc and ikc grade 6 and iadsa grade 6 and then at the last show of the year in each organisation he got a win towards grade 7 (and 2 wins in Iadsa). He blew me away this season and I felt the most incredible connection with him

Simba is my wild child!! He went to iadsa grade 4 and 5 this season and has 9 jumping wins towards kc grade 6 but we just can’t manage to get that one agility win needed! He only did 1 or 2 our of the 3 or 4 runs at each show and is semi retired becuse lf hip dysplasia but loved agility so so so much

An amazing year and my best one yet but now for a bit of a break
    Here’s some videos from tbe season:

https://www.instagram.com/p/B1vvH4yIdyA/?igshid=1ir50jfl37azu

https://www.instagram.com/p/Bz6b4ReoYTX/?igshid=1fakpeg3v3bv9

https://www.instagram.com/p/BsmG_noDinj/?igshid=x8m056ppheks

https://www.instagram.com/p/BvodvDMgPEd/?igshid=183r8t3pa0euf

Bonus video of my little border collie cross with only 3 feet who loves a tunnel

https://www.instagram.com/p/BsIhmV8gCQI/?igshid=1q1t8eu9o5iet

KarenCurtis, Calliesmom and corbinam like this.
  2. HikerDog

HikerDog Forums Regular

Jan 28, 2019
    So cute! Good job :)

KarenCurtis, Calliesmom and Simba13 like this.
  3. Sharon7

Sharon7 Premium Member

Oct 31, 2009
    Southern California
    Congrats! I have a wild child also. We don't compete but agility is something Faith loves, and is impatient about with me - I'm apparently far too slow mentally and physically to suit her.....

4. Calliesmom

Calliesmom Moderator

Mar 29, 2008
    near Mobile, AL
    your little BC looked great doing the tunnels:yes:
    you had some really nice runs there....

KarenCurtis and Simba13 like this.
  5. SRW

SRW Premium Member

Jul 17, 2018
    Ohio
    I'm just starting with Devon in agility. We just finished the first class last week. The only thing he's scared of is the big A shaped ramp. They don't normally do that one during the first class, but since he was not afraid of anything else, we tried it on the last night. He doesn't really want to be that high up, but we got him to go up about half way with treats, and by placing him near the top pointed downward he'd go back down, and we could even get him to go over the top by putting him right near the top facing upwards, but what we couldn't do is get him to go over the top when we placed him facing upward but far enough down that he couldn't see over the top. He just wouldn't do that.

The second class starts in a couple of weeks so hopefully he'll be able to be coaxed to go over and do it. He did the other ramp fine, although in the first class it's only about two feet off the ground, and he didn't have a problem with the teeter totter, but in the beginning they teach having the dog almost stop for a moment at the point where it tips over.

KarenCurtis and Simba13 like this.
  6. Simba13

Jun 25, 2014
    Dublin
    Thank you! Your Faith sounds very like my Simba hahahah! He is always. Barking at me to run faster

KarenCurtis, Sharon7 and Calliesmom like this.
  7. Simba13

Jun 25, 2014
    Dublin
    I can’t wait to see some videos of Devon doing agility in the future! I have an 8 month old Sheltie who has started foundation classes he is too young for the A frame but when he does start I will start him on a lowered A frame using a stride regulator and will gradually raise it :) it’s great that your little guy has no trouble with the teeter (or seesaw as we call it over here). Even with all of the confidence building I do for it when my boys are baby’s, wobble cushions, wobble boards, bang games and so much more, my eldest boy simba is still not totally confident on it!
    Once you get bitten by the agility bug you won’t be able to imagine life without it make sure to post some videos on Devon in the future

KarenCurtis and Calliesmom like this.
  8. KarenCurtis

KarenCurtis Premium Member

Jan 30, 2010
    Massachusetts
    GREAT VIDEOS! Minnie (7 months) and I are in our second agility class, so fun. Your videos, and our agility instructors videos show that I have to be way ahead of Minnie running our course. Minnie's a natural, I need to keep up! The instructor is frequently shouting to me things like "can you run any faster?" Yes, I say. "Do you know where your dog is?" Umm, no.

Calliesmom and Sandy in CT like this.
  9. Sandy in CT

Sandy in CT Premium Member

Aug 5, 2018
    CT
    We did the a-frame fine the week Brodie tried it, but the day they tried the dog walk on the floor to get him used to it, he wanted no part of it. Last week they had the dog walk raised up normal and he was fine with it - go figure.

KarenCurtis likes this.