Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest, Welcome to the new version of Sheltieforums.com. If you have any questions regarding the new software, please post in the following section: Forum Upgrade

Agility debut!

Discussion in 'Agility' started by Sharon7, Aug 1, 2022.

1. Sharon7

Sharon7 Moderator

Oct 31, 2009
    Our dog club hosts two agility events a year for fund raising. I volunteered. Friday was UKI and I did jump setting all day; learned a lot by watching. Saturday more volunteering, and then TA DA! Faith, Meadow and I made our agility competition debut. Man was I nervous. I only entered them in the Jumpers class since neither dog does weaves.

Faith has not been to agility class since she was about 3, she is almost 10. I did take her to practice a few times and she still loves it so I thought what the heck. At her age she only needed to jump 12 inches.

Meadow was in the "championship" class, jumping 16 inches.

As I suspected, Faith did awesomely well! She ran the course perfectly, would have gotten a ribbon except for catching one jump bar with her back leg and bringing it down. I was so proud of her I started crying. I mean, she's just a fabulous dog with so much heart, just like her grandma Brooke.

Meadow, my wild child, blew it. But she sure had fun! I had forgotten to take my hat off and it was loose so halfway through I had to take it off and carry it in my hand! Felt like an idiot. :rolleyes2:

She did however, let me get at least one step away from her and held her start line for an instant which is much better than she has been doing. The little stinker LOVES tunnels, but as you will see in the video she starts to go in, I think she's committed and keep running, and she pops out. Only the straight tunnel, the curved one she went through. I made a mistake on the one jump with her but her ducking the tire was all her own idea. Well, it was a humbling experience but I love her enthusiasm. I guess everyone has to start somewhere! Hope you enjoy the short videos.

TheDailyPainter, Margi, Ann and 7 others like this.
  2. ghggp

ghggp Moderator

Aug 28, 2011
    Grosse Pointe, Michigan
    Great job! Heck, I would not even be able to remember what obstacle order I needed to run the course!
    Faith and Meadow sure looked like they had a ball out there...

Ann, Sandy in CT, RikyR and 3 others like this.
  3. KarenCurtis

KarenCurtis Premium Member

Jan 30, 2010
    Massachusetts
    So fun !!!!! I don't even have he courage to take a class with other people and a different instructor, lol.

Ann, Sandy in CT, Sharon7 and 2 others like this.
  4. Piper's mom

Piper's mom Moderator

Jun 26, 2015
    Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada
    The dogs did great Sharon as did you! I totally understand the nerves…I get incredibly nervous when I have to go in the ring! I’d never be able to keep the order straight!

KarenCurtis, Ann, Sandy in CT and 2 others like this.
  5. Ron Atkinson

Ron Atkinson Premium Member

Oct 5, 2019
    Sugarcreek, Ohio
    Your pups did great,and boy it looks like you got a workout. Congratulations on doing so well :) Thanks for sharing your video,I really enjoyed watching them

Piper's mom, Sharon7, Ann and 2 others like this.
  6. Sandy in CT

Sandy in CT Premium Member

Aug 5, 2018
    CT
    AWESOME!!!!! Looks like all 3 of you had a great time!

7. Ann

Ann Moderator

Feb 25, 2008
    These are great! Congratulations, Sharon, what an accomplishment getting through those courses! I love Meadow's enthusiasm, and Faith was so funny when she stopped at the end of the tunnel and turned around to look for you! Terrific job by all! :biggrin2: