Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest, Welcome to the new version of Sheltieforums.com. If you have any questions regarding the new software, please post in the following section: Forum Upgrade

Airline Carrier for a Puppy

Discussion in 'Crates & Beds' started by Elei, Aug 18, 2019.

1. Elei

Elei Forums Regular

Jul 10, 2019
    So I still don't know if/when I'll be getting a Sheltie puppy (should have more info beginning of Sep) but I want to be prepared so I'm looking at soft airline carriers so I can bring a puppy home on the plane. I'd like to get the largest size the airline allows. Amazon has a bewildering collection of airline carriers! Any recommendations for a good brand carrier for an 8 or 9 week old pup?

My airline only allows a carrier that will fit under the seat, so it has to be 16" x 10" x 9.5" or less.

2. ghggp

ghggp Moderator

Aug 28, 2011
    Grosse Pointe, Michigan
  3. Cindy

Cindy Premium Member

May 19, 2008
    San Francisco Bay Area, CA
    just remember that you might never use it again as your puppy could grow too big to use it.
    I had a cheap one I used for my cat; as long as it has most of the features of the sherpa, you will be fine.
    My only suggestion is one that has mesh sides, but you can roll down fabric and create a more cozy environment for your puppy if they don't handle all the stimulation well. Im sure you could find a way to add that to one somehow if you can't find it easily online.

Calliesmom and Hanne like this.
  4. Elei

Elei Forums Regular

Jul 10, 2019
    Hi guys,
    Any idea on if either of these crates would fit a 10 week old puppy comfortably for an airline flight? My airline doesn't allow very large carriers.. I'm going to talk to the breeder tonight and will ask her about the size.
    World Pet: 15 x 10 x 9.5"
    Or Amazon brand: 13.8 x 8.7 x 8.7"
    Thanks!!