Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest, Welcome to the new version of Sheltieforums.com. If you have any questions regarding the new software, please post in the following section: Forum Upgrade

AKC name ideas

Discussion in 'Sheltie Chat' started by Watson's Mom, Feb 28, 2020.

1. Watson's Mom

Watson's Mom Premium Member

Mar 24, 2012
    Western New York
    I’m trying to come up with ideas for Roxy’s AKC name. Roxy was easy. As soon as I saw her I knew it was her name. And it is oh so fitting.

But now her AKC name....

Roxanne from what I can gather is the anglicized version of a Persian name meaning dawn of day, dawn, or shining star.

Little miss sassy pants has a mama named “Leather and Lace” and a father named “King Coal.”

I need some ideas for the little lady.

2. Sandy in CT

Sandy in CT Premium Member

Aug 5, 2018
    CT
    We haven't stuck with our breeder's name since our pups are always neutered. We've opted to use our last name - Buddy, our red and white piebald dachshund was (Our Last name) Piece of Pie. We never registered Kooper, our black and white piebald.

My family is Scot (both paternal grandparents were born in Scotland - my grandmother's family was a group of traveling Scot gypsy/dance performers - my dad is a first generation American) Shelties hail from Scotland- I wanted something that tied back. His given name Brodie ties back to Brodie Castle and the Brodie Clan which is one of the oldest Scot Clans. His AKC name is (Our last name) Little Bit of Brogue since the Scot dialect (although also Irish, etc) can be referred to as Brogue. So in our minds, he's our little bit of my Scot ancestry.

Hanne and Watson's Mom like this.
  3. Watson's Mom

Mar 24, 2012
    Western New York
    Our registration doesn’t allow us to use the kennel name. I hadn’t thought of using a family surname. Maybe I’ll use our clan name. So I’d have (my clan name)’s___________

My family is Celtic, but Irish; I have to go back to my paternal great-grandmother for the first generation in the US.

4. SheepOfBlue

SheepOfBlue Premium Member

Oct 15, 2009
    Huntsville,Al
    All my guys have Irish Gaelic based names (closest I could find to Shetlandic) even kind of Spitfire who is Spitfire the Jarl Of Hunstville (a Jarl is the sub ruler of the island). Sca was Scatham Coimhead which roughly tranlates to Mirror Gazer. Angus is Angelic Angus Itheann Gach Rud which has his kennel name then translate roughly to Eats Everything (he still does, I think there is some goat in him)

Margi, Sandy in CT, Ann and 2 others like this.
  5. Sharon7

Sharon7 Moderator

Oct 31, 2009
    Southern California
    Hmmm, anything appropriate from the song "Roxanne" by the Police? I'm not familiar with the lyrics but I remember the song.

ghggp and Piper's mom like this.
  6. Piper's mom

Piper's mom Moderator

Jun 26, 2015
    Winnipeg Mb
    I wás sorta thinking the same thing lol.....Red Light Roxy :razz:
    Or Foxy Roxy...from Roxy Roller

7. Watson's Mom

Mar 24, 2012
    Western New York
    So she was whelped in August so I’m kind of thinking something like Summer Rock Star or Rock Star of Summer. Plus Watson’s sire was .... Guitar Hero. And they are related through one of his sisters. However many generations that is. I don’t really know how to read the pedigree very well.

Piper's mom and Sandy in CT like this.
  8. SheepOfBlue

SheepOfBlue Premium Member

Oct 15, 2009
    Huntsville,Al
    Oh and you need a theme so when Watson's buddy moves in..... can't have just one.

Piper's mom and Watson's Mom like this.
  9. Watson's Mom

Mar 24, 2012
    Western New York
    07E9BEBB-A6B6-4967-8094-B4BF73A779D7.jpeg
    She moved in in November. :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Darren, Caro, Hanne and 5 others like this.
  10. Calliesmom

Calliesmom Moderator

Mar 29, 2008
    near Mobile, AL