Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest, Welcome to the new version of Sheltieforums.com. If you have any questions regarding the new software, please post in the following section: Forum Upgrade

Alarmingly good watch dog

Discussion in 'Sheltie Chat' started by GlennR, Aug 10, 2019.

1. GlennR

GlennR Premium Member

Jan 11, 2019
    Ontario, Canada
    Okay, I couldn't resist the bad pun subject line. Willow is not a good guard type watchdog as she welcomes anyone into the house and doesn't even bark at them, but seems to have the ability to tell what time it is, hence a dog as reliable as a timepiece.

Willow has such a keen sense of time that she starts nudging us to serve up her dinner at five before five every day. She knows exactly when feeding time is. She will go to each human in turn and sit with soulful eyes and a quiet little whimper. If it doesn't work on the person she's sitting in front of then she moves on to the next person. She tries for the Puss in Boots look.

Anybody else with a "watch" dog?

Piper's mom, Margi, Sharon7 and 2 others like this.
  2. Wendy C

Wendy C Premium Member

May 30, 2019
    Paris, Ontario CANADA
    I’ve always said dogs have an internal clock! My cocker knew it was 7 p.m. and time to hand over mini carrots. They always seem to know that it’s bedtime. Cooper knows that after the morning walk he gets breakfast and if I don’t move quick enough he gives a couple of barks as a reminder. Willow is a clever and beautiful girl...who gives in first? lol

Piper's mom, Margi, Hanne and 3 others like this.
  3. GlennR

GlennR Premium Member

Jan 11, 2019
    Ontario, Canada
    Normally, dad. However, I have two great helpers picking up the slack so I don't have to do too much.

Piper's mom and Calliesmom like this.
  4. Calliesmom

Calliesmom Moderator

Mar 29, 2008
    near Mobile, AL
    mine all have clocks but they don't reset at time changes.............

Piper's mom, Sharon7, RikyR and 3 others like this.
  5. GlennR

GlennR Premium Member

Jan 11, 2019
    Ontario, Canada
    That will be interesting to see this fall. I wonder how long it will take Willow to adjust. :)

Piper's mom and Calliesmom like this.
  6. Calliesmom

Calliesmom Moderator

Mar 29, 2008
    near Mobile, AL
    I'll go with a week.......................
    they want breakfast earlier and dinner earlier but don't seem to want to wait another hour when we go the other way...........

Piper's mom and GlennR like this.
  7. mimiretz

mimiretz Premium Member

Oct 14, 2014
    denver
    For most of Oberon's life my husband would get home from work at about 3:30. Oberon would go sit in front of the door to the garage at about 3:15 and wait for dad to come home. Hubby's hours have changed, and now he gets home 4:30-5:00-ish. Oberon still sits by the door at 3:15, but at about 4:00 he comes to wherever I am as i to say, "he's supposed to be home --where is he?" and then paces back and forth from me to the door until Lee does come home.

Piper's mom, Margi, Sharon7 and 3 others like this.
  8. Sharon7

Sharon7 Premium Member

Oct 31, 2009
    Southern California
    Definitely. I get lots of attention around 5 PM walk time. And dinner better be 6 sharp or there's hell to pay! Yeah the time change is always a bummer in the fall.

Ann, Piper's mom, Hanne and 4 others like this.
  9. Margi

Margi Forums Enthusiast

Nov 2, 2012
    Corona, AZ
    This house runs on Koko Sidereal time. Fil doesn't seem to care much, I think he knows the timekeeping is in good paws. Koko does try to cheat and starts lobbying for lunch, dinner, 8 o'clock chewy sticks or bedtime snacks up to 30 min early. In his defense, if we have a good tv show on I frequently don't get up for a while :)
    We don't change time here in Arizona (thank the good Lord) so he follows the sun...

Piper's mom, Sharon7, Hanne and 3 others like this.
  10. Piper's mom

Piper's mom Forums Enthusiast

Jun 26, 2015
    Winnipeg Mb
    I work evenings so on the days I'm working my boys eat at 2 but on the days I'm off (I'm a .8 so I get 6 days off every two weeks) they don't eat until 4. Riley starts bugging me at 1:30 and then the other two follow suit...eventually barking at me every time I go into the kitchen. They continue until I give in lol. There was a time I was giving Piper and Finnie their second meal after I got home from work (11 pm) but I'd still have to make up a veggie meal for them at 2 (can't feed one and not the others lol) so it got to be too much and I stopped that. Wouldn't you know it but they still expected their late meal! They learn fast and unlearn slower lol.

Calliesmom and Wendy C like this.