Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest, Welcome to the new version of Sheltieforums.com. If you have any questions regarding the new software, please post in the following section: Forum Upgrade

Am I smart enough to have a Sheltie in the family?

Discussion in 'Sheltie Chat' started by GlennR, Jan 15, 2019.

1. GlennR

GlennR Forums Regular

Jan 11, 2019
    I like clever dogs and have stuck to adopting smart breeds into our family. However, I never needed a degree to live with them. Keeping Willow safe and happy requires an understanding of physics, calculating momentum and arcs of flight when she runs and hurdles things to land in a lap or clear an obstacle. Still, there's no explaining the stealth technology she uses to sneak up on me.

I launched an attempt to slow her eating down as a half cup of food was disappearing in a minute or two. I purchased a lovely, expensive, puzzle feeder. Willow has to open drawers to find her food, Each drawer is locked in place by a bone. To open a drawer she first has to remove the locking bone. The first time she tried it, it took her twenty minutes, next time it took ten minutes. I expect you're picking up the pattern here. The next time took her five minutes, sigh...

Keeping her safe would be easier with an engineering degree, I've built more barriers and fences in the back garden for playtime than the average prison does in a decade. Who knew she'd find wood chip mulch so entertaining to pick up and chew. A degree in botany would be nice to help with figuring out which plants might possibly be bad for her to yank out of the frozen ground. Google helps.

Still, it doesn't take a degree in psychology to see her joy in life and to feel her love when she snuggles down for a nap on my feet, eschewing the expensive bed I bought her.

Roberta, SheepOfBlue, ghggp and 9 others like this.
  2. Sharon7

Sharon7 Premium Member

Oct 31, 2009
    Southern California
    :yuckyuck

Not only your title but your whole post had me laughing. Yes, it is a challenge being owned by a smart dog (try THREE). My senior girl Brooke has very strong opinions about being excluded from an area in the house and will definitely push things around to get access.

And Shelties are all about food, glorious food, so her adeptness with the food puzzle does not surprise me.

Please feel free to share more entertaining stories! :lol:

ghggp, JacqueZ and KarenCurtis like this.
  3. Calliesmom

Calliesmom Moderator

Mar 29, 2008
    near Mobile, AL
    it is hard to stay ahead of the shelties- they are very smart and very determined to get at all the food possible but that also means that they learn quickly to get cookies:yes:

ghggp, Sharon7, JacqueZ and 1 other person like this.
  4. Cindy

Cindy Premium Member

I am always amazed that Gavin does not open the cabinet with his food. He knows where it is, the cabinet has no lock, and is the bottom one on the ground.
    Who knows what is going on in his mind. Open cabinet-No. Jumping on tables to get food-Yes. Eating from trash can-Yes.

ghggp, Sharon7 and JacqueZ like this.
  5. Ann

Ann Moderator

Feb 25, 2008
    Western Connecticut
    I loved your post...what a wonderful read! And yes, we can all relate. One of my favorite answers for people who ask me what it's like to have Shelties is that they can out-think me most days! Truth! :hide

ghggp, Sharon7, JacqueZ and 1 other person like this.
  6. Shelby's mom

Shelby's mom Forums Enthusiast

Jan 4, 2012
    pennsylvania
    Loved it and couldn’t agree more. Shelby is so smart and can be so manipulative, you don’t even realize she is playing you.

ghggp, Hanne, Sharon7 and 1 other person like this.
  7. Cindy

Cindy Premium Member

I always say the Gavin is the result of 100 years of natural selection for human manipulation!

8. ghggp

ghggp Moderator

Aug 28, 2011
    Grosse Pointe, Michigan
    15853276-71A7-4811-8FBB-96CDA0879AFC.jpeg
    :yuckyuck:ROFLMAO:;):ROFLMAO:;)
    OMG!!! That is the most hysterical post I have read in a long time! Not the least of which is because I have a new Sheltie pup as well! Yes, he is totally entertained by the cypress mulch I have in the yard! Chasing him around the yard to get it from him was quite the challenge! Actually, I had to install a fence to stop him from getting to it!

You could be a writer of a children’s Sheltie book! Thanks for sharing such an entertaining and engaging post! Can’t wait for more to come!

KarenCurtis and Ann like this.
  9. take4roll10

take4roll10 Moderator

Aug 31, 2009
    New York
    Very funny and very true! No matter how much I train or counter-train, my sheltie always finds a way to outsmart me. A sheltie's intelligence is a blessing and curse! :lol:

KarenCurtis likes this.
  10. Roberta

Roberta Premium Member

Apr 26, 2013
    Chicago area
    Great post! They keep you humble - that's for sure. Wouldn't trade them for anything.

KarenCurtis likes this.